Freshman Haakon San­taella and Rachel Smith dance the night away under the Searle Center lights. Jordyn Pair | Col­legian

“Most of all, stay chaste.”

The room erupted into laughter as senior and Nied­feldt House Director Mitchell Moutard walked off the stage, the signal to offi­cially start the award cer­e­monies. The Nied­feldt Res­i­dence Hall formal was off to a roaring start.

Fea­turing a dinner catered by Bon Appetit, a tongue-in-cheek awards cer­emony, and dancing, the formal is an oppor­tunity for the res­i­dents of Nied­feldt to dress up and bring a date to a formal event. The dorm used to do a formal every year, until the tra­dition ended.

This year’s Res­ident Assistant team started the tra­dition up again, hosting it this past Sat­urday in the Searle Center. Around 80 people — res­i­dents and dates — attended.

“This is way classier than a date party,” junior RA Sam Cassels said. “It’s a priv­ilege of being a smaller dorm.”

The formal is spon­sored by Phyllis Nied­feldt, who donates money specif­i­cally for the formal.

“She wants them to know eti­quette and classy dining,” Asso­ciate Dean of Men Jeffrey Rogers said. “It’s not often stu­dents get to dress up.”

The awards cer­emony included honors like “Best Side­burns,” “Most Likely to Live at Taco Bell,” and “Most Likely to Not Be Named Nied­feldt,” awarded to Andrew Simpson.

“I’m very glad we had this,” sophomore RA Quinn Crago said. Crago won the award “Most Likely to Be On Eight Intra­mural Teams.”

Each res­ident also brought a date to the event.

“For at least half the guys, that’s a good thing,” Crago joked.

After the awards show, they dimmed the lights and turned on pop songs. The res­i­dents and their dates started dancing, joining together in one big dance circle. A few strag­glers hugged the out­skirts of the dance floor as the rest of the group bopped to the beat. One or two couples paired off, dancing to the side. A pair of boys gal­loped around the room in a quasi-polka before even­tually breaking down into laughter.

One date, freshman Christine Mitchell, hovered on the side, watching the dancing.

“The atmos­phere of Nied­feldt, you can’t really encap­sulate it,” she said, “you have to just watch.”