Hillsdale College Sym­phony Orchestra to perform led by Director of Orchestras and Choirs James Holleman.

Fea­turing two winners of the annual Concerto/Aria Com­pe­tition, the Hillsdale College Sym­phony Orchestra will perform its first concert of the semester on Thursday.

The concert will begin at 8 p.m. in Markel Audi­torium. Ticket reser­va­tions should be made by con­tacting the Sage Center Box Office either by phone or email.

The program includes Bedřich Smetana’s “Die Moldau,” Aram Khachaturian’s “Con­certo for Flute and Orchestra,” Camille Saint-Saëns’ “Intro­duction and Rondo Capric­cioso, op. 28,” and Paul Hindemith’s “Sym­phonic Meta­mor­phosis of Themes by Carl Maria von Weber.”

Junior Clara Fishlock, who will perform a flute solo during Khachaturian’s con­certo, said even stu­dents who don’t typ­i­cally listen to clas­sical music can enjoy the concert.  

“The program is beau­tiful, engaging, and very acces­sible even to people who are not familiar with clas­sical music,” Fishlock said. “The Hin­demith ‘Sym­phonic Meta­mor­phosis’ doesn’t nec­es­sarily have the same type of melodic the­matic material as the other pieces on the program, but is still enjoyable and cer­tainly inter­esting to listen to.”

Junior Tova Forman, who will perform a violin solo during Saint-Saëns’ piece, said the orchestra began working on the concert set at the beginning of the spring semester, making it an “extremely short rehearsal cycle.”

Despite its quick pace, Forman said, playing in the orchestra has been an oppor­tunity for her to reach others and exhibit artistic beauty.

“God gave me a love for playing for people, trying to soothe and inspire them by showing them attributes of him through music,” Forman said. “An orchestra per­for­mance dis­plays beauty, order, and cre­ativity, which are things we should get used to in art as well as aca­d­emics.”