The team sent 10 members to compete in Hamilton, Ohio at a tour­nament hosted by Uni­versity of Dayton. Courtesy | Lauren Eicher

Wrapping up their season at the Opening Round Cham­pi­onship Series this past weekend, Hillsdale’s Mock Trial team looks forward to con­tinuing their success into the future.

The team sent 10 members to compete in Hamilton, Ohio at a tour­nament hosted by Uni­versity of Dayton, scoring four wins and four losses.

Coach Lindsey Church said that overall it was a really suc­cessful weekend, espe­cially for this spe­cific tour­nament.

“I was really impressed with how everyone did, it was one of the best rounds of the year,” Lindsey Church said. “Even though we lost, it was great to see them doing so well against a high-caliber team and just getting people expe­rience in ORCS. I think we’re in a really good position for the future.”

While the team is done for the season, prepa­ra­tions for the next season soon will be underway. Lindsey Church said in the next few weeks they will be thinking about next year, who is coming back, and selecting lead­ership posi­tions.  

“It seems like people are excited to come back, so we’re hoping we have a good core of expe­ri­enced sopho­mores, juniors, and seniors who can lead the incoming freshmen that we will hope­fully have,” Lindsey Church said.

Two freshmen, Andrew Shaffer and Mason Aberle, won Out­standing Attorney awards for their per­for­mances. Only 15 attorneys were rec­og­nized at the tour­nament.

Coach Jon Church said that it is a great honor to get an ORCS award as either a witness or an attorney.

“It’s about the best thing you can get outside of being all-American attorney or witness, which would be a per­sonal award at the national tour­nament,” Jon Church said.

Shaffer said that he was excited and that it felt good to get the award, and that he had never received one before. Although a freshman, this is Shaffer’s fifth season in mock trial, having com­peted all throughout high school.

“At this tour­nament I really tried to con­cen­trate on having a bigger presence in the court,” Shaffer said.

With the season at a close, Lindsey Church and Jon Church are looking ahead to great seasons in the future.

“Going into this year, we knew it was going to be more of a rebuild year, just with how many seniors had grad­uated last year,” Lindsey Church said. “We have been super impressed with how everyone has done both com­pet­i­tively as first year mockers and also just the overall attitude and spirit of the team.”

Shaffer said  he thinks working on the team’s pre­sen­tation next year will really help to set them apart, espe­cially by making the wit­nesses even more likable and enter­taining while keeping solid­ified, facts-based cases.

“I think it’s been incredible to see this group, which is largely a new group, rise up,” Jon Church said. “We had a very com­pet­itive program last year — we won a lot, we had good respect from other pro­grams, and I really don’t think we stepped back very much from where we were at all.”