Senior David Chase, senior Jared Schipper, and freshman Ryan Thomson took first, second, and third, in the hep­tathlon, respec­tively, at the G-MAC Cham­pi­onships. (Photo: Todd Lan­caster | Courtesy)

The Chargers took second place in their first ever G-MAC Indoor Cham­pi­onships. Staying neck and neck with the Uni­versity of Findlay all weekend, the Charger men were in the lead when it came to the shot put on Sat­urday afternoon.

“It came right down to the end,” head coach Andrew Towne said. “We were up by two or so with just the shot put left and then the 4x4. We scored like five points in the shot, and Findlay scored 20-some­thing. Then it was over.”

The team put up a strong showing, one which Towne said was some­thing he had been looking for from the guys all year.

“The guys com­peted much better than they have all year. We came up just short. It came right down to the last couple events. Really close but that’s the type of effort that we need moving forward.”

Findlay ended up taking home the crown Sat­urday afternoon, edging the Chargers with a score of 154.

“The dif­ference was we’re a little bit stronger in the dis­tance events than they are and they’re a little bit stronger in the field events than we are,” Towne said. “We couldn’t outdo them enough in the dis­tance events to offset how much they outdid us in the field events.”

Though the team didn’t take a col­lective cham­pi­onship title, quite a few indi­viduals walked out of Biermann having taken the number one slot in the con­ference. Sophomore Joey Humes won the mile and 3000-meter runs, as well as anchoring the Champion DMR team. Humes was also named the G-MAC Men’s Track Athlete of the Week.

“He was a good example of what we need from our guys going out there and giving their best effort whether it feels great or not, whether it’s easy or not,” Towne said. “I thought he was really good this weekend in terms of com­peting and laying it out there.”

Though he is the only member of the men’s team to qualify for NCAAs, Humes had nothing but praise for his team­mates.

“Everyone did so well,” Humes said. “I can’t think of one person who didn’t step up. Lit­erally everybody was stepping up. I think the problem was we didn’t have the depth for it. Findlay’s got depth.”

Other notable per­for­mances included senior David Chase, senior Jared Schipper, and freshman Ryan Thomsen in a Charger sweep of the hep­tathlon podium. Schipper also took the con­ference title in the pole vault.

“I got first, which was awesome,” Schipper said. “I didn’t jump quite as high as I wanted to, but that’s okay. Pole vault is one of those things where you kind of just compete against yourself and you have your own goals to reach. You don’t worry about the com­pe­tition too much.”

For everyone but Humes, the indoor season is over. The team will take a few days off and then jump into training for the outdoor season.

“This week we’re taking a couple of days off just to let our bodies recover,” Schipper said. “And then we’ll probably get right into it next week. It’ll just be tons of practice and will probably be the hardest weeks of the semester.”