Senior Dugan Delp and junior John Ciraci during a doubles match earlier this season. (Photo: Scott McClallen | Col­legian)

The Hillsdale College men’s tennis team picked up three con­ference wins in the last week to improve its season record to 7 – 6 and G-MAC record to 3 – 0.

The Chargers toppled the Walsh Cav­a­liers 7 – 2 at North Canton Racquet Club in Ohio on Sat­urday. Hillsdale swept doubles matches and then seized four singles matches.

Junior Justin Hyman and sophomore Charlie Adams won No. 1 doubles, 8 – 3. Junior John Ciraci teamed up with senior captain Dugan Delp to take down No. 2 doubles, 8 – 3. Sophomore Milan Mirkovic and sophomore Julien Clouette seized No. 3 doubles, 8 – 2.

Mirkovic was named Player for the Week on Wednesday for his per­for­mance.

Adams won No. 2 singles in straight sets, 6 – 2, 6 – 1. Hyman was a No. 3 singles winner, 6 – 2, 7 – 5. Delp won at No. 4 singles 6 – 4, 6 – 4. Ciraci won a long No. 6 singles match, 6 – 4, 4 – 6, 1 – 0, 10 – 7.

Head coach Keith Turner said sweeping doubles made the match more relaxing than past matches.

“Walsh is a team that was favored right behind us to be the No. 1 team in the con­ference and we thought they were going to be our main com­pe­tition coming into the con­ference, so we were ready to play,” Turner said.

Delp said deeper players made the Chargers more con­fident on the court.

“We only lost matches in third sets in singles,” Delp said. “Milan played a really tough kid and lost 10 – 8 in the third. (sophomore) Michael Szabo com­peted really well. Justin was down in the second set and had a really great comeback to close out that match. It was really nice to bounce back for he and I after our Tiffan losses that were dev­as­tating.”

Ciraci said the Chargers showed up ready to play in their first con­ference match.

“Walsh is one of those stronger teams in the G-MAC, and we knew we had to play well to solidify us as the top team in the con­ference,” Ciraci said. “It was a good win. We got off to a really good start at 3 – 0 doubles and we really pushed their backs against the wall. They weren’t able to come back.”

The Chargers blanked Davis & Elkins Uni­versity 9 – 0 on Sunday evening at Ridgeview Racquet Club in Mor­gantown, West Vir­ginia.

Hillsdale out­played the Sen­ators 24 – 4 in doubles play.

Mirkovic won No. 1 singles, 6 – 2, 6 – 2. Adams was a No. 2 winner, 3 – 0, retired.

Hyman took a 6 – 2, 6 – 2, No. 3 singles win. Delp played five sets to win No. 4 singles, 6 – 7, 4 – 7, 6 – 1, 1 – 0, 10 – 4. Szabo won at No. 5 singles, 6 – 1, 6 – 0. Katz finalized the shutout with a No. 6 singles victory 6 – 0, 6 – 1.

“They were much stronger last year. It was a pretty easy match for us,” Turner said.

The Chargers rolled over Findlay Uni­versity 8 – 1 on the road on Tuesday. Hillsdale swept doubles for the second straight match and took home five singles wins.

Adams and Hyman won No. 1 singles, 8 – 5. Ciraci teamed up with Delp for an 8 – 2 No. 2 doubles victory. Clouette and Mirkovic pitched an 8 – 6 No. 3 doubles win. Mirkovic won No. 1 singles 6 – 1, 6 – 0. Adams was a No. 2 singles winner, 6 – 3. 6 – 2. Delp won No. 4 singles 1 – 6, 6 – 1, 6 – 2. Szabo was a No. 5 singles winner, 6 – 4, 6 – 4 and Ciraci fin­ished No. 6 singles, 6 – 1, 6 – 1.

“We were sur­prised when Findlay beat Walsh a few days earlier,” Turner said. “We saw that and we were pretty fired up and ready to play the match. We came out and played great doubles again and played one of the best overall matches that we have played all year.”

Ciraci said the match was closer than the rest.

“We had some closer doubles matches but we’ve been playing pretty well recently and that showed when we beat them pretty handily,” Ciraci said.

Turner said the 3 – 0 run felt good, but he expects teams to return with a vengeance.

“It feels good, but we have to play Walsh and Findlay in the regular season so it doesn’t mean a whole lot right now, to be honest,” Turner said. “I’m sure both teams learned a little bit about us. So I wouldn’t be sur­prised if they make some minor adjust­ments and the matches are a little bit closer next time around.”

“I was very happy with how we played during a tough stretch there where we had three road con­ference matches in four days,” Turner said.

The Chargers will face Cedarville Uni­versity at 12 p.m. on Sat­urday in the Biermann Ath­letic Center.