Junior Ryan Kelly Murphy was elected pres­ident of the class of 2019. Matthew Kendrick | Col­legian

After extending the elec­tions through Monday evening because of a tie for one of the posi­tions, Director of Employer Rela­tions John Quint announced the officers for the Class of 2019 on Tuesday.

Although Quint announced the elected officers in a campus-wide email on Tuesday, he has not told the position in which the tie occurred. Director of Career Ser­vices Joanna Wiseley said she has not seen a tie occur in class officer elec­tions in recent years.

The rising senior class elected Ryan Kelly Murphy as pres­ident. Murphy, who cur­rently is in Wash­ington, D.C., for the Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program, is a George Wash­ington fellow and a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She also vol­un­teers as a children’s min­istry teacher at Pine Ridge Bible Church in Quincy.

“I have always mar­veled at the position of pres­ident,” Murphy said. “I have really respected the people who have taken on that role, people who serve their class­mates. I won­dered, could God have that oppor­tunity for me to serve in that way?”

Vice Pres­ident-elect Marcus Kop­erski serves as Alpha Tau Omega’s new member edu­cator, where he teaches new members and manages the active members in his chapter. He also works for the Kendall Contact Center and plays cello in the school orchestra. Kop­erski said he looks forward to working with Murphy and the other officers.

“I want to be reliable and help Ryan do what she needs to get done,” Kop­erski said. “Whatever bumps in the road, I know these officers will be able to handle it.”

Kathleen Russo, who was elected sec­retary, serves as Stu­dents for Life pres­ident and recruitment chair for Chi Omega.

She also is a member of the Fed­er­alist Society and the cheer team.

Russo smiled as she recalled meeting most of the other members at freshman ori­en­tation.

She said she hopes to bring back to the senior class the charm they fell in love with that day.

“By the time you get to your last year, a lot of times you forget the charm of Hillsdale,” Russo. “I want to give that back to the seniors, espe­cially through the com­mencement speaker we choose.”

Class of 2019 Trea­surer Andres Torres is a res­ident assistant in Simpson Res­i­dence. He served on Student Fed­er­ation for two years, first as freshman class rep­re­sen­tative and then as pres­ident last year.

Torres’ goal for the next year is to make the most of their budget. He also said he looks forward to working with Kop­erski on selecting the class gift.

The rising seniors elected Faith Witkowski as social chair. Witkowski serves on Pi Beta Phi’s lead­ership and nom­i­nation com­mittee, which selects members for other posi­tions within the house. She is a biology major who would works in the con­ser­vation genetics lab, and she also works at A.J.’s Café.

“Everybody probably knows me because I gave them chicken tenders at one time,” Witkowski said.

Newly-elected Fundraising Chair Rachel Umaña is also a member of Pi Beta Phi and cur­rently works as a graphic designer for alumni affairs. As the the acting pres­ident of College Repub­licans, Umaña coor­di­nated fundraising efforts for the 2018 Con­ser­v­ative Political Action Con­ference.

“I know the impor­tance of starting fundraising ini­tia­tives early and exe­cuting them con­sis­tently,” Umaña said.

All officers expressed excitement for the selection of the com­mencement speaker and the senior class gift, two of the officers’ biggest respon­si­bil­ities.

“These will be the last parting words for the senior class, the last time the seniors are together on campus, Murphy said. “We should strive to choose someone who cap­tures the values that Hillsdale stands for.”