195 N Manning St is cur­rently the home of the Delta Tau Delta fra­ternity. (Facebook)

After under­going an entire semester of planning, Delta Tau Delta’s “Unbaked Sale” is any­thing but half-baked.

Delta Tau Delta fra­ternity will be selli ng cookie dough for $1 in its annual “Unbaked Sale” on April 4 and 5 during meal hours in the Grewcock Student Union. The fundraiser will benefit the Juvenile Dia­betes Research Fund, the fraternity’s national phil­an­thropy.

According to Senior Peter O’Rourke, it’s the fraternity’s goal each semester to raise as much money as pos­sible for JDRF. The Hillsdale chapter specif­i­cally has had members throughout the years who have Type 1 dia­betes. This, he said, makes it per­sonal.

“If by my efforts and the efforts of my brothers in Delta Tau Delta, someone else later down the line is able to be helped, it will have been more than worth it…” sophomore Peter Takach, cur­rently suf­fering from Type 1 dia­betes, said. “If I can do some­thing that can help to actively stop the disease in the future, not only do I want to do that, but I feel as though I have the respon­si­bility to do so.”

Delta Tau Delta raised around $400 last semester through events like the Unbaked Sale. Since 2012, their national fra­ternity has raised over $1 million for Type 1 dia­betes research. O’Rourke said they always hope to make a 2:1 ratio of money, as to be effi­cient with the amount in their phil­an­thropy budget, and they have been hitting that mark for a while.

The idea was orig­i­nally brought up in dis­cussing about how to run a bake sale for an event. One of us men­tioned selling cookie dough instead of making the cookies.

“The Unbaked Sale has been a favorite of ours for some time now because it’s a lot of fun and campus really seems to like it as well,” O’Rourke said. “It’s been so suc­cessful that we’ve made it a staple of what we do for phil­an­thropy.”

Previous articleGetting a taste of Manning
Next articleMock Trial
Allison Schuster
Allison Schuster is a sophomore from Chicago, IL, planning to major in Politics with a minor in Journalism. This is her second year writing for The Collegian, and she currently serves as the Assistant Features Editor. She plans to pursue a career in Broadcast Journalism.   
  • Christie

Good money. My husband was diag­nosed with dia­betes 2 about 3 months ago. We imme­di­ately began using a food plan, and within 2 weeks his numbers went from the fright­ening 440, down to 100 !!! We added a brisk 1 mi. walk, and elim­i­nated sugar, white flour and white rice, and upped our raw fresh veg­gieazs, nuts, and seeds. We switched to coconut, avocado, Hemp and Rice Bran oils, and min­i­mized even their use. He is the picture of excellent health today at the age of 71. His energy is back up to normal, and his skin color is beau­tiful! We are SO thankful Lisa from Toronto, on her blog (google ” I Finally Reverse My Dia­betes ” ) told us a good journey in curing dia­betes! And THANKS to Lisa again!!!