Delta Tau Delta wins the ‘Most Improved Chapter’ award

Home News Delta Tau Delta wins the ‘Most Improved Chapter’ award
The newest Delta Tau Delta pledge class of Spring 2018. Peter O’Rourke. | Courtesy

Kappa chapter of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity recently won Most Improved Chapter Award at the annual Delta Tau Delta Northern Division Conference 2018.

Every DTD chapter submits a Fraternity Awards/Accreditation Report, which evaluates the chapter in several categories such as recruitment, financial excellence, and member education operation. From last year’s report to this year’s, the Kappa chapter’s scores improved the most of all the chapters in their district.

“We knew that our scores had improved, but we didn’t know they had improved that much,” DTD President junior Christopher Sturges said.

The fraternity received the award at the conference, which was held Feb. 22-25 in Columbus, Ohio. Hillsdale’s chapter sent four members: Sturges, Vice President junior Adam Cieply, Director of Recruitment junior James Burke, and Treasurer senior David Stone. Executive offers and members from 41 chapters in the division attended.

Throughout the weekend, the men attended officer-specific training sessions as well as sessions for the entire delegation. The sessions included brainstorming with other chapters about successful techniques as well as leadership training.

“It was kind of cool to see that our chapter was excelling above most of the other chapters and that we could bring ideas to the table and help them grow,” Stone said. “We were thrilled. Everyone put in a ton of work over the past year.”

While it was a holistic improvement, one notable accomplishment was Stone’s perfect treasury score. Former fraternity president and senior Josh Brooks attributes this success to setting clear financial expectations.

“David did a great job holding the chapter accountable,” Brooks said.

All three men said the award served as a “testament” to the work of the present and past senior classes.

“It was an awesome opportunity to see brotherhood in a way that is completely antithetical to the fraternity stereotype,” Stone said.

Sturges agreed: “To see the chapter rally once again, it’s really a testament to how hard the guys have worked, how hard the brotherhood has worked.”

Stone said he would like to see the chapter build on this success by aiming for the national level of awards, eventually hoping for a top 20 recognition or higher.

Brooks, too, said he is positive about the chapter’s future.

“I want to see them do their best,” he said. “I’m excited to see what the future holds, and this award is a recognition of them working toward that.”