Debate takes 3rd at EMU

Home News Debate takes 3rd at EMU
Debate takes 3rd at EMU
Debate takes 3rd at EMU. Katrina Torsoe | Courtesy

Four members from the debate team competed March 10-11 at Eastern Michigan University and John Carroll University, respectively.

The Michigan Intercollegiate Speech League held its state tournament at Eastern Michigan University. The two competitors that Hillsdale sent took home The Director’s Trophy for the highest quality overall in addition to winning third place overall school.

Both of Hillsdale’s competitors, senior Mary Blendermann and freshman Patrick Mitchell, made it to the final round of each of their events.

In impromptu speaking, Blendermann and Mitchell won first and second place, respectively.

Impromptu was Blendermann’s only event.

Mitchell won first place in informative speaking. He also won top novice in impromptu and program oral interpretation. Because of how well Mitchell did in his four events, he won third place in Quadrathon, a sweepstakes award.

“Forensics has kept me very busy in the past few weeks,” Mitchell said, “and it was nice to see all the practices with Mary pay off.”

At John Carroll University, sophomores Hannah Johnson and Kathleen Hancock competed in the Lincoln Douglas Debate in which Johnson advanced to the quarterfinal round.

Mitchell said his informative speech describes the advancements in the science of epigenetics and how it has opened the way for breakthroughs in treating addiction. In his persuasive, he spoke about the Church of Scientology’s financial abuses. In program oral interpretation, he portrayed our present culture’s outlook on masculinity and how it relates to sexual harrassment and assault today.