Debate takes 3rd at EMU. Katrina Torsoe | Courtesy

Four members from the debate team com­peted March 10 – 11 at Eastern Michigan Uni­versity and John Carroll Uni­versity, respec­tively.

The Michigan Inter­col­le­giate Speech League held its state tour­nament at Eastern Michigan Uni­versity. The two com­petitors that Hillsdale sent took home The Director’s Trophy for the highest quality overall in addition to winning third place overall school.

Both of Hillsdale’s com­petitors, senior Mary Blen­dermann and freshman Patrick Mitchell, made it to the final round of each of their events.

In impromptu speaking, Blen­dermann and Mitchell won first and second place, respec­tively.

Impromptu was Blendermann’s only event.

Mitchell won first place in infor­mative speaking. He also won top novice in impromptu and program oral inter­pre­tation. Because of how well Mitchell did in his four events, he won third place in Quadrathon, a sweep­stakes award.

“Forensics has kept me very busy in the past few weeks,” Mitchell said, “and it was nice to see all the prac­tices with Mary pay off.”

At John Carroll Uni­versity, sopho­mores Hannah Johnson and Kathleen Hancock com­peted in the Lincoln Douglas Debate in which Johnson advanced to the quar­ter­final round.

Mitchell said his infor­mative speech describes the advance­ments in the science of epi­ge­netics and how it has opened the way for break­throughs in treating addiction. In his per­suasive, he spoke about the Church of Scientology’s financial abuses. In program oral inter­pre­tation, he por­trayed our present culture’s outlook on mas­culinity and how it relates to sexual har­rassment and assault today.