YAF hosts Michigan state rep

Home News YAF hosts Michigan state rep
YAF hosts Michigan state rep
Official Portait of Michigan Rep. Tom Hooker. | Michigan state house, courtesy

Former State Rep. Tom Hooker will speak on Feb. 22 for Young Americans for Freedom on his experience in leadership as state representative for the Grand Rapids area and on his current position as the supervisor of Byron Township.

He will speak in Lane 236 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., which will include time for questions from those attending.

Junior Luke Barbrick, the president of YAF, said Hooker will speak on his experience as a leader, urging the audience not to follow the crowd, but to keep their principles at the forefront of their mind when leading others.

“It’s great for people to hear from somebody who has played in the politics around them, here in Michigan,” said senior English Hinton, the vice president of YAF. “Anytime someone is around here like that, it’s a great opportunity.”

Barbrick said Hooker is known for taking a stand on his convictions particularly when it comes to social issues. During his three terms as a representative, Hooker has been called one of the most, if not the most, conservative representatives in the Michigan house, and he has a record of standing up for his beliefs.

“A lot of conservatives stand up for what they believe, but with the younger generation, that’s starting to disappear a bit,” Barbrick said. “I’ve seen examples of both at Hillsdale, and because of that, I see potential for growth.”