Official Portait of Michigan Rep. Tom Hooker. | Michigan state house, courtesy

Former State Rep. Tom Hooker will speak on Feb. 22 for Young Amer­icans for Freedom on his expe­rience in lead­ership as state rep­re­sen­tative for the Grand Rapids area and on his current position as the super­visor of Byron Township.

He will speak in Lane 236 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., which will include time for ques­tions from those attending.

Junior Luke Bar­brick, the pres­ident of YAF, said Hooker will speak on his expe­rience as a leader, urging the audience not to follow the crowd, but to keep their prin­ciples at the fore­front of their mind when leading others.

“It’s great for people to hear from somebody who has played in the pol­itics around them, here in Michigan,” said senior English Hinton, the vice pres­ident of YAF. “Anytime someone is around here like that, it’s a great oppor­tunity.”

Bar­brick said Hooker is known for taking a stand on his con­vic­tions par­tic­u­larly when it comes to social issues. During his three terms as a rep­re­sen­tative, Hooker has been called one of the most, if not the most, con­ser­v­ative rep­re­sen­ta­tives in the Michigan house, and he has a record of standing up for his beliefs.

“A lot of con­ser­v­a­tives stand up for what they believe, but with the younger gen­er­ation, that’s starting to dis­appear a bit,” Bar­brick said. “I’ve seen examples of both at Hillsdale, and because of that, I see potential for growth.”