Senior Fiona Shea (middle) runs at the Wide Track Classic. (Photo: Carmel Kookogey | Col­legian)

The women’s track team com­peted this weekend at Grand Valley State University’s Big Meet, a two-day event. The meet excluded some members of the team, who are preparing for G-MACs.

“I think, as a whole, this was the best meet we’ve had all year,” senior Vic­toria Wichman said. “We had to leave a day early because of the snow, and we just had to be very flexible. I saw the under­classmen dealt with that well. There were a lot of pos­itive atti­tudes and almost everyone per­formed really well.”

Senior Hannah McIntyre con­tinues to shine, this time during the 3000-meter race, fin­ishing second overall in 9:31.46. She came just short of an auto-qual­ifier.

“I had some good com­pe­tition this time, which was really nice,” she said. “It def­i­nitely helped push me to a faster time. It was a good con­fi­dence booster. I qual­ified for nationals.”

McIntyre won’t compete in this weekend’s meet. She said her per­for­mance set her up for a smoother few weeks at  G-MACs, and she doesn’t have to worry about qual­i­fying for NCAAs.

“Now she’s posi­tioned herself really well for NCAAs to where she’s in every­thing we could pos­sibly want her in,” head coach Andrew Towne said. “Then we can choose what’s best for her and for us.”

McIntyre said she hopes to con­tribute to ful­filling the team’s goal to win the con­ference title in track, and outdoor track cross country.

Freshman Maryssa Depies also ran well, and her times would his­tor­i­cally qualify her for NCAAs, Towne said.

“You never know until you get right down to it,” he said. “But that time has been his­tor­i­cally good enough to get in.”

Junior Ally Eads fin­ished third in the mile race with a provo marking of 4:54.39. She dropped sig­nif­icant time from recent races, and Towne said she is “in a really good spot,” with the pos­si­bility of com­peting in the NCAAs. 

“I think Eads did really well in the mile,” Wichman said. “I saw her walk off the track with a radiant smile and call her dad. That’s what makes being part of the track team really special; to see someone so joyful that their hard work paid off.”

Eads, along with sophomore Lorina Clemence, and freshmen Abbie Porter and Christina Sawyer, fin­ished the dis­tance medley race in just over 12 minutes.

Clemence, freshman Zoe Eby, Wichman, and senior Ashlee Moran, improved on the 4x400, fin­ishing in fourth place in 3:49.71, a pro­vi­sional time.

“We cut four seconds off our time, which is really promising going into G-MACs.” Wichman said.

She said  that the team will be able to go into con­ference with sta­bility. With con­fident in them­selves and each other, knowing that they will do what needs to be done.

This Sat­urday, Hillsdale will host the Hillsdale Tune Up. The meet will be short, fol­lowed by a large silent auction that is like a home­coming for track and field alumni, Towne said.

“We’re really winding down and just touching on little things that certain people need,” Towne said.