Women’s track runs at GVSU Big Meet

Home Charger Track and Field Women’s track runs at GVSU Big Meet
Women’s track runs at GVSU Big Meet
Senior Fiona Shea (middle) runs at the Wide Track Classic. (Photo: Carmel Kookogey | Collegian)

The women’s track team competed this weekend at Grand Valley State University’s Big Meet, a two-day event. The meet excluded some members of the team, who are preparing for G-MACs.

“I think, as a whole, this was the best meet we’ve had all year,” senior Victoria Wichman said. “We had to leave a day early because of the snow, and we just had to be very flexible. I saw the underclassmen dealt with that well. There were a lot of positive attitudes and almost everyone performed really well.”

Senior Hannah McIntyre continues to shine, this time during the 3000-meter race, finishing second overall in 9:31.46. She came just short of an auto-qualifier.

“I had some good competition this time, which was really nice,” she said. “It definitely helped push me to a faster time. It was a good confidence booster. I qualified for nationals.”

McIntyre won’t compete in this weekend’s meet. She said her performance set her up for a smoother few weeks at  G-MACs, and she doesn’t have to worry about qualifying for NCAAs.

“Now she’s positioned herself really well for NCAAs to where she’s in everything we could possibly want her in,” head coach Andrew Towne said. “Then we can choose what’s best for her and for us.”

McIntyre said she hopes to contribute to fulfilling the team’s goal to win the conference title in track, and outdoor track cross country.

Freshman Maryssa Depies also ran well, and her times would historically qualify her for NCAAs, Towne said.

“You never know until you get right down to it,” he said. “But that time has been historically good enough to get in.”

Junior Ally Eads finished third in the mile race with a provo marking of 4:54.39. She dropped significant time from recent races, and Towne said she is “in a really good spot,” with the possibility of competing in the NCAAs. 

“I think Eads did really well in the mile,” Wichman said. “I saw her walk off the track with a radiant smile and call her dad. That’s what makes being part of the track team really special; to see someone so joyful that their hard work paid off.”

Eads, along with sophomore Lorina Clemence, and freshmen Abbie Porter and Christina Sawyer, finished the distance medley race in just over 12 minutes.

Clemence, freshman Zoe Eby, Wichman, and senior Ashlee Moran, improved on the 4×400, finishing in fourth place in 3:49.71, a provisional time.

“We cut four seconds off our time, which is really promising going into G-MACs.” Wichman said.

She said  that the team will be able to go into conference with stability. With confident in themselves and each other, knowing that they will do what needs to be done.

This Saturday, Hillsdale will host the Hillsdale Tune Up. The meet will be short, followed by a large silent auction that is like a homecoming for track and field alumni, Towne said.

“We’re really winding down and just touching on little things that certain people need,” Towne said.