For such a small school, Hillsdale College offers many great classes taught by renowned pro­fessors that are typ­i­cally found at bigger schools. These inter­esting courses leave stu­dents hungry for more.

Each semester, pro­fessors from all depart­ments offer special elective courses on a mul­titude of sub­jects, from the history behind Iron Maiden’s songs to more “Hills­dalian” history courses on topics including the nature of war. Often, these classes are exper­i­mental and only offered for a semester.

The process to add a course to the course catalog can often take months. According to Reg­istrar Douglas McArthur, the process begins at department round­tables, where members of a par­ticular department discuss and cri­tique the course. Then, the pro­posal goes to the dean of Human­ities, Natural Sci­ences, or Social Sci­ences. After that, the course must pass the edu­cation policies com­mittee. Finally, the course must pass an all-faculty vote.

Jack McPherson (Alexis Nester / Col­legian)

Some stu­dents dream of adding more diverse classes- from a fem­inism in science class to classes about modern eco­nomic trends. Could these pass the test of Hillsdale faculty?

Last semester, history major Jack McPherson took a month-long course on the Nature of War taught by Victor Davis Hanson. McPherson said he would enjoy more oppor­tu­nities to study unique aspects of history with vis­iting pro­fessors.

“Pol­itics and history are a lot more tied together than people think,” McPherson said. “We have a really great amount of pro­fessors, but perhaps we could bring in more pro­fessors with spe­cialized knowledge of history.”

Avery Lacy (Alexis Nester / Col­legian)

Sophomore pol­itics major Avery Lacey also men­tioned the addition of com­bining pol­itics with other aspects of the current cur­riculum- specif­i­cally, religion.

“I’m really inter­ested in how dif­ferent reli­gious groups under­stand pol­itics within their own religion, and how their under­standing of the role of God and human nature influence their under­standing of gov­ernment,” Lacey said.

Erin Fla­herty (Alexis Nester / Col­legian)

Biology major Erin Fla­herty had a few sug­ges­tions for addi­tions to her field. She said she would enjoy modern psy­chology and EMT classes. In addition, she voiced interest in a class that would discuss influ­ential women and their achieve­ments in various sci­en­tific fields.

“[Women] actually had a lot of important roles, even though they aren’t credited, like Ros­alind Franklin,” Fla­herty said, ref­er­encing an influ­ential chemist who was sig­nif­icant in advancing under­standing of a number of areas.

Jackson Frerichs (Alexis Nester / Col­legian)

Jackson Frerichs, an accounting major, said he would appre­ciate the addition of a course cov­ering the causes and effects of the 2008 financial crisis and Great Recession. He said that this course would explain the problem from dif­ferent per­spec­tives and angles, from the average middle-class family to the government’s “too big to fail” mindset,” to the Lehman Brothers’ choices that lead the company to go bankrupt.

Phil Bernston, who has not yet declared his major, said that he would be inter­ested in some­thing even more diverse- a class on gar­dening or hor­ti­culture. Bernston not only finds gar­dening a relaxing hobby, but also as an important way he can connect with his father.

Phil Bernston (Alexis Nester / Col­legian)

“My dad is a bigtime gar­dener,” Bernston said. “He started with only four plots but now made his own irri­gation system. I do go out there, too. It’s very relaxing and we always have great con­ver­sa­tions.”

Though Hillsdale College stu­dents may feel swamped by both core and major classes, these inter­esting courses could add an edge to any major, or serve as fun elec­tives for the inter­ested student of the liberal arts.