Students question themselves when they should be questioning their professors

Home Features Students question themselves when they should be questioning their professors
Students should not be afraid to ask professors their questions; that is an important part of class. Courtesy

When a student doesn’t understand a point a professor makes in class, they have two options: remain silent or admit ignorance and ask for help. Professors want students to engage with them, but students sometimes choose to avoid that engagement.

Professors desire student engagement for different reasons. Blake McAllister, assistant professor of philosophy, thinks the nature of what students study in his classes makes it worthwhile for students to ask questions, despite the discomfort it causes.

“The issues we discuss in philosophy are of the utmost importance, and there is a part of us that naturally desires to seek out answers to these questions,” McAllister said in an email. “Class provides an opportunity for us to explore the ultimate nature of reality together, not for me to hand you the ‘official’ answers.”

Ranessa Cooper, professor of biology, believes the reasons students need to engage their professors changes as the discipline changes. In her biology classes, she said students need to ask questions when they don’t understand the terminology she used in a lecture.

“In science, you have to understand the vocabulary to understand the concept,” Cooper said. “It is like a foreign language.”

In the philosophy department, engaging the professor is an essential part of the training students receive in philosophy classes.

“The philosophy department doesn’t just want you to learn about philosophy; we want you to learn how to think philosophically,” McAllister said. “Critical thinking of that sort is only learned through practice and participation.”

The reasons professors want student engagement are varied, and the reasons that students choose not to engage with their professors are also varied.

Jacob Coonradt, a senior, believes the fear of appearing dumb is what prevents most students from asking a question.

“You’re with smart professors and smart students, too,” Coonradt said. “You don’t want to look like an idiot.”

Professor of history Thomas Conner said he is aware of how intimidation could curtail student-professor engagement, and he is cognizant of how he personally could be intimidating to students.

“I have a deep voice, I talk loud, and I am fairly energetic,” Conner said. “I fear that I may have an intimidating effect on students.”

Doyle Wang, a sophomore who is known by his classmates as someone willing to ask questions in class and in CCA’s, said his desire to learn triumphs over any doubts he may have about asking a question.

“My curiosity is what drives my questions,” Wang said. “If it’s something that contributes to the conversation in class, then I think I should ask.”

Wang also said that frequently asking questions can cause him to miss out on some of the required material covered in a lecture. He said the process of asking a question sometimes forces his attention to shift from the lecture to his question.

One thing that makes professor-student engagement unique at Hillsdale is the relatively high percentage of students that were formerly home-schooled. These students find themselves in a drastically different learning environment with different rules of etiquette.

Conner said that while every home-schooled student is different, it is hard for some to transition from a student-tutor style of learning to a student-teacher style of learning.

“Occasionally there are home-schooled kids who are used to being the only student in the class,” Conner said. “They don’t know when to dial it back, and sometimes students like that can have a disruptive effect.”

Conner also said that most often he does not know whether a student was home-schooled, and he does not believe that the very rare instance of a disruption is a significant problem.

While Conner does not believe student hyper-engagement is a substantive issue, he does believe students who do not engage with the faculty are cutting themselves off from people who want to help them.

“When a student doesn’t choose to come by during office hours or open up communication with a faculty member, we never know why that communication isn’t happening, and we never find out that there is a problem.” Conner said. “We are here for you, don’t ever be hesitant to reach out to us.”

Ryan Zetwick, a sophomore, is a student who prefers not to engage with faculty during class. Zetwick said that smaller class sizes make it easier for him to participate in class, but when he needs a specific question answered, he prefers to go to office hours.

“Office hours are more personal, and professors can take time to answer questions,” Zetwick said. “It’s better because I don’t disrupt class, and I’m not in front of people.”

Cooper also feels that office hours are a productive time for professors to engage their more reluctant students.

“If you are really uncomfortable asking a question before, during or after class, I think that is a very good use of office hours,” Cooper said.

Coonradt feels that having professors who are willing to answer student questions during office hours is rare, and something Hillsdale College does well.

“Office hours are great. Something about the one-on-one setting there is better than class,” Coonradt said. “Professors here are very willing to give up their time and answer questions outside of class.”

A heightened level of student-professor engagement is something that would be beneficial to both professors and students. It helps the professors fulfill their purpose as instructors and moulders of minds, and it helps students get the most out of class.