Cravats and Blue­stockings. | Facebook

The Student Fed­er­ation approved two new clubs on Thursday, as well as funds to Cravats and Blue­stockings. The fed­er­ation approved the Hillsdale Table Top Society and the Chesterton Society on pro­ba­tionary club status.

The Chesterton Society meets every Sat­urday for brunch to discuss G.K. Chesterton’s writings. Until now, about 10 to 12 stu­dents have met unof­fi­cially.

The society’s pres­ident, sophomore Maggie Vang­ieson, is pleased with the federation’s decision.

“I’m very relieved to have the whole process over with,” Vang­ieson said. “It’s nice to be finally rec­og­nized as a real club so that we can plan events, advertise, and hope­fully grow our fanbase.”

The second club to receive approval from the fed­er­ation was the Hillsdale Table Top Society, a club devoted to playing board games.

Freshman Gabriel Meyer orig­i­nally came up with the idea. After deciding to hold a test trial game night, Meyer was able to attract over 20 people.  

While Meyer even­tually hopes to test out unpub­lished, unre­leased games from board game com­panies and give feedback and even travel to game con­ven­tions, he plans to start off slow.

“The first thing we’re going to do is have regular game nights where everybody can come to one spot and play board games, and utilize our board game col­lection,” Meyer said. “I hope to build a board game library.”

The student fed­er­ation also approved a dis­bursement of $350 to the Cravats and Blue­stockings club with the stip­u­lation the fed­er­ation will be reim­bursed if the fundraising accu­mu­lates over $250 but a cap will be placed at $350.

Cravats and Blue­stockings, a club devoted to expe­ri­encing and learning about the Regency Era in Great Britain, requested the funding for their annual Regency Ball. The club brings in a collar and a small band to play music for english country dancing, a form of dancing popular in the Regency Era. This will be their 11th year holding the ball.

“We like doing it because it was such an important part in upper class social­izing in the Regency Era and because it’s fun so it makes for a really good event,” minster of events and senior Rebekah Roundey said. “It’s easy to learn the dancing because you don’t need any expe­rience.”