The Student Fed­er­ation approved $4,000 for clubs in their meeting on Thursday, as well as awarded the Cit­izens for Self-Gov­er­nance Club initial club status.

The College Repub­licans requested $3,000 to pay for a portion of the bus travel for the group’s trip to the Con­ser­v­ative Political Action Con­ference in National Harbor, Maryland.  Although the cost for each student to attend is $180, the entirety of the trip costs $16,000. The College Repub­licans covered the majority of this price because of fundraising.

The fed­er­ation approved the full amount of $3,000.

“This funding is critical to the exe­cution of our trip, so it wasn’t just important for College Repub­licans, but to the rest of the student body who are attending CPAC,” acting pres­ident Rachel Umaña said.

This is a smaller request than College Repub­licans has asked from Student Fed­er­ation in recent years.

“This was all due to the astute efforts of our board to fundraise, but also the stream­lining of processes,” Umaña said.

The fed­er­ation also approved a grant of $1,000 to the Hillsdale Hepcats for its annual soiree, an evening of swing dancing fea­turing James Dapogny, jazz artist and Uni­versity of Michigan pro­fessor, and his 10-piece jazz band. The total cost for the event is about $2,500, and the club had requested $1,500 from the fed­er­ation. The fed­er­ation advised the club to offer presale tickets in addition to tickets at the door.

The Student Fed­er­ation also gave initial club status to the new club, Cit­izens for Self-Gov­er­nance, meaning the club will have a non-dis­ci­plinary pro­bation period of one semester. The club will be headed by co-pres­i­dents juniors Lucy Meckler and Weston Boardman. It is the first chapter of the parent orga­ni­zation by the same name and is a grass­roots political movement focusing on passing amend­ments to the Con­sti­tution to fix what they believe to be a bloated gov­ernment.

Meckler was par­tic­u­larly excited about the federation’s decision.

“It was a moment of joy,” Meckler said. “Hillsdale College is the first campus to have a club for Cit­izens for Self-Gov­er­nance. It was exhil­a­rating and nerve-racking, but we’re so excited to see what happens.”

Junior Michael Luc­chese, senior Tatiana Coverdell, senior Alex Buchmann, senior Larissa Clark, and junior Macy Mount stand outside the Con­ser­v­ative Political Action Conference’s hub, where orga­ni­za­tions pass out infor­mation and free goodies, at the Gaylord National Resort in National Harbor, Maryland. | Facebook