Senior Fiona Shea com­petes at the Wide Track Classic earlier this season. (Photo: Carmel Kookogey | Col­legian)

The women’s track team won event after event at the Tune Up on Sat­urday, promising a suc­cessful meet next week at G-MACs.

Senior Fiona Shea took two of the three Charger wins during the meet. She won the 200-meter dash in 25.86 minutes and fin­ished the 60-meter dash in 7.85 seconds.

Shea said she and other team­mates were fighting off a cold and flu prior to the meet, so they hadn’t had much time to practice before the meet.

“We’ve had a pretty good season of training so we knew we were gonna start to hit our peaks around here and around our con­ference next week,” she said.

About a third of the team com­peted in the Tune Up, with most of the dis­tance runners sitting out to save energy, but head coach Andrew Towne said about 400 to 500 com­peted in the meet.

“I thought the Tune Up was exactly what we want it to be,” Towne said.

Shea said the meet was relaxed, but the teams who par­tic­i­pated pro­vided good com­pe­tition.

“It was a really good chance to get out there and prove our­selves and fix the small things before con­ference,” she said.

Senior team captain Rachael Tolsma con­tinued to shine in her events, taking second place in both shot-put and weight throw, making an NCAA pro­vi­sional mark in the latter.

Younger ath­letes also dis­tin­guished them­selves. Sophomore Abbie Porter fin­ished second in the 800-meter, and freshman Carmen Botha fin­ished second in the 60-meter hurdles. Towne said that Porter, though an aca­demic sophomore, is a freshman on the team, and still learning the 800-meter race.

The Chargers also won the 4x400 meter relay, fin­ishing in 3:55.13. Seniors Ashlee Moran and Vic­toria Wichman, sophomore Lorina Clemence, and freshman Zoe Eby made up the relay team.

Clemence said the team didn’t race as fast as they had wanted, but they did what they could.

“We really wanna shave down our 4x400 time because we’re really hoping to make it to nationals,” she said.

G-MACs will be held at home in Hillsdale’s own Margot V. Biermann Center. Shea said the team is excited to compete at home without the hassle of travel, and they are looking forward to winning some G-MAC cham­pi­onships. But the Chargers won’t let the recent success keep them from focusing ahead.

“Our coach just met with us today to tell us that even though we do have this great oppor­tunity to win some cham­pi­onships and odds are that we will because we’re pretty strong, pretty high powered, we’re still going into it with a mindset of its a fight and we’re gonna fight for every point we earn,” Shea said.