SAB to hold President’s Ball this coming Saturday

Home News Homepage - News SAB to hold President’s Ball this coming Saturday
President’s Ball 2016 hits record attendance.

The Student Activities Board is holding one of its most noteworthy (and classy) events all year long on Saturday: President’s Ball, with this year’s theme inspired by the Middle East.

The ball is from 9 p.m. to midnight in the Searle Center.

Although SAB originally named the theme “Arabian Nights,” it later modified it.

“The theme has been modified, and is less ‘Arabian Nights’ and now more elegant, Middle Eastern, desert-oasis-type theme,” said senior Jake Kenyon, the event’s creative team leader.

With hanging fabric, a unique patio set-up, and ceiling adornments appealing to a sunset, SAB is experimenting with their creative process at this year’s President’s Ball.

“Our light designer, Scott Pienta, gave us some ideas for this year. We’re using his lighting towers to hang our fabric, so it’s really a collaborative process,” Kenyon said. “We can’t attach anything to the walls in Searle, so that definitely creates some challenges we have to overcome, but it helps us become more creative with how we use the space.”

Kenyon said he directed their light designer to use a color scheme of red, orange, pink, and gold to appeal to the idea of a sunset.

Sunsets aren’t the only thing that will be at the ball.

“Chicken tenders will be making an appearance again this year, but maybe in a different form,” Director of Student Activites Ashlyn Landherr said. “We try to keep it interesting.”

Chicken tenders, though, are not the only items on this year’s menu. The event will also have a ‘dip bar’ with a variety of dips for people to taste, as well as “fancy grilled cheese,” according to Assistant Director of Student Activities Hank Prim.

“What we have found is that people just want comfort food at these events, rather than align the food with a Middle Eastern theme, which they’ve done in the past, and does not always meet with success,” Prim said.

There will also be a dessert bar with both a chocolate and fruit option.

The Jerry Ross band will be performing again, per Dr. Arnn’s request, according to SAB sources. The band plays a variety of music from swing to modern pop covers.

SAB will also provide students with a photobooth, where students will be able to take a printed photo with them by the end of the evening.

“We’re excited about it. The team’s really excited about it. This is one of their favorite events to put on, every year, just because it is one of the more elegant and traditional items Hillsdale College has always offered,”  Prim said. “I know we’re excited about it, and we hope the student body is, too.”