Pro­fessor of Pol­itics William Mor­risey (Courtesy of External Affairs).

Some Hillsdale pro­fessors fall in love with the city and decide to stay — even after they retire from teaching. Over the years, Hillsdale College pro­fessors come and go, but some pro­fessors remain in the area, con­tinuing to con­tribute to the com­munity.

Will Mor­risey came to teach in the pol­itics department at Hillsdale in 2000. Holding the William and Patricia LaMothe chair in the United States Con­sti­tution, his 403(b), a retirement savings plan for edu­ca­tional insti­tu­tions and non-profit employers, allowed him to retire in 2015, the date he received when he checked when he could retire back in 2005. When he fin­ished teaching at the college, he wanted to con­tinue living in the area.

“I liked the area,” he said. “The property values are very good in Hillsdale com­pared to a lot of other places in the country. The house I live in is located in an area that is con­ve­nient for me; I don’t drive. But it’s easy walking dis­tance to the stores.”

Mor­risey con­tinues to read and write on a regular basis. He main­tains a book review website, “Will Mor­risey Reviews.” As an aca­demic, he com­pared his decision to remain in Hillsdale to a char­acter in a French novel by André Malraux.

“One of the char­acters in the novel is an elderly scholar,” Mor­risey said. “The novel is set in the Spanish Civil War, so the fascist troops are advancing upon his town, and somebody told him to get out of town before it’s too late. He says, ‘When a man of my age travels, he takes his library with him.’ He’s not moving. I’d have to take my library with me. Therefore, I’m not moving.”

But life is not always quiet for Mor­risey. He keeps active in the com­munity, and he has served on the Hillsdale City Council since August 2016. He was elected to take over the unex­pired term of a city coun­cil­woman.

Another local pro­fessor who retired is Carolyn Lundy. She worked at Hillsdale as a lec­turer in accounting from 1991 to 1996. Lundy worked in the business department, teaching courses such as business infor­mation systems and income tax. She recalls teaching a mar­keting class one semester while the pro­fessor was on sab­batical.

She con­tinued to work after she retired from teaching at Hillsdale. She still did accounting work, and to this day, she does online teaching for the Uni­versity of Phoenix. But this was not the only reason she and her husband Larry decided to remain in Hillsdale.

“Our family was here; our kids were here and our grandkids,” she said. “We had no reason to go any­where else.”

Even so, she takes life a little quieter these days. She and her husband are actively involved in their church, College Baptist. They are apart of the church’s student adoption program. They host college stu­dents in their home on a regular basis.

Another former pro­fessor is Jim Juroe who, like Lundy, also happens to be involved with College Baptist’s student adoption. Juroe taught English at Hillsdale from 1970 through 2001. One of the appeals of Hillsdale was that it allowed him to teach a broad range of courses within the English department. He didn’t want to be “pigeon­holed,” he said. Ulti­mately, he retired from teaching at the school because of an eye con­dition that affected his grading ability.

“It didn’t allow me to read papers in the way you have to,” he said. “I got cloudiness of vision. I’d probably still be here.”

Juroe was respon­sible for starting Hillsdale’s Oxford Study Abroad Program. He worked with the program until May 2017.

“I decided maybe I should grow up,” he said with a smile. “When you get to be an octo­ge­narian, you probably ought to back off a little.”

His decision to remain in Hillsdale was due to his love for the area and the college stu­dents.

“I think there’s no better place to live on earth than Hillsdale,” he said. “It’s one of those best-kept secrets. I just love it here. I love rural life.”

Juroe and his wife con­tinue to stay busy with their involvement in the student adoption program.

“We have about 8 stu­dents now,” he said. “My life would probably be less stressful and busy if I started working again.”

Previous articleCity announces slogan
Next articleWomen’s tennis falls to D-1 Western Michigan
Nolan Ryan
Nolan Ryan is a junior from northern Michigan, studying English and journalism. He is this year's News Editor at the Collegian, as well as a student writer with the marketing department. This summer, he is interning with the editorial and news sections of the Detroit News. You can find him reading good poetry and trying desperately to be better at appreciating art. Email: nryan1@hillsdale.edu | Twitter: @NolanRyan76