In the famous words of Leslie Knope, “What’s Galentine’s day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home and we just come and kick it breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies.”
It may be fun to celebrate Valentine’s day with your significant other, but it’s also important to celebrate the ladies in your life. With so much focus put on romance and boyfriends, husbands, and significant others, it’s easy to forget about your girlfriends. But you should remember to spend time with the ladies as well.
The Galentine’s Day traditions of Leslie Knope, the main character of the NBC comedy “Parks and Recreation,” seem to require brunch, ample amounts of whipped cream, and elaborate gifts. But when you’re a college student with lack of time and money, how are you supposed to make a mosaic of your friend’s faces from the crushed glass of their favorite soda bottlesà la Knope? Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Here are a few suggestions for celebrating Galentine’s Day with limited time and money.
1. Skip the gifts. It would be nice to be able to give individualized gifts to all your girlfriends on Galentine’s day, but that’s not necessary. Save gift giving for birthdays.
2. Snacks are a good option if you don’t want to spend money on a full blown brunch. Chocolates and candy is always a good idea for your lady friends.
3. February 13 is a Tuesday this year, and you don’t have to celebrate then. Just make it anytime that all your girlfriends can come together and honor your friendship and good times. In Leslie Knope’s legendary words, “Any time a group of women get together… we embody the spirit of the holiday.”
4. Decorations can be plain and simple! If you want to decorate your space get creative and don’t be afraid to just make some simple stuff yourself.
5. Make a killer, fun playlist. Music always brings back memories and creates a fun atmosphere. Include some throwback songs along with all the current songs.
6. Pick an activity. Games are always a good idea and can be simple. Or even just watching a well-loved movie with your gals can be fun and relaxing.
No matter how you choose to celebrate Galentine’s day, just remember it’s all about celebrating your gal pals. You don’t need to spend all your money on breakfast, whipped cream, and personalized gifts. Just enjoy your girlfriends.