Galentine’s Day is about girls cel­e­brating friendship. (Pixabay)

In the famous words of Leslie Knope, “What’s Galentine’s day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every Feb­ruary 13, my lady friends and I leave our hus­bands and our boyfriends at home and we just come and kick it breakfast style. Ladies cel­e­brating ladies.”

It may be fun to cel­e­brate Valentine’s day with your sig­nif­icant other, but it’s also important to cel­e­brate the ladies in your life. With so much focus put on romance and boyfriends, hus­bands, and sig­nif­icant others, it’s easy to forget about your girl­friends. But you should remember to spend time with the ladies as well.  

The Galentine’s Day tra­di­tions of Leslie Knope, the main char­acter of the NBC comedy “Parks and Recre­ation,” seem to require brunch, ample amounts of whipped cream, and elab­orate gifts. But when you’re a college student with lack of time and money, how are you sup­posed to make a mosaic of your friend’s faces from the crushed glass of their favorite soda bot­tlesà la Knope? Ain’t nobody got time for that!

Here are a few sug­ges­tions for cel­e­brating Galentine’s Day with limited time and money.

1. Skip the gifts. It would be nice to be able to give indi­vid­u­alized gifts to all your girl­friends on Galentine’s day, but that’s not nec­essary. Save gift giving for birthdays.

2. Snacks are a good option if you don’t want to spend money on a full blown brunch. Choco­lates and candy is always a good idea for your lady friends. 

3. Feb­ruary 13 is a Tuesday this year, and you don’t have to cel­e­brate then. Just make it anytime that all your girl­friends can come together and honor your friendship and good times. In Leslie Knope’s leg­endary words, “Any time a group of women get together… we embody the spirit of the holiday.” 

4. Dec­o­ra­tions can be plain and simple! If you want to dec­orate your space get cre­ative and don’t be afraid to just make some simple stuff yourself. 

5. Make a killer, fun playlist. Music always brings back mem­ories and creates a fun atmos­phere. Include some throwback songs along with all the current songs. 

6. Pick an activity. Games are always a good idea and can be simple. Or even just watching a well-loved movie with your gals can be fun and relaxing.

No matter how you choose to cel­e­brate Galentine’s day, just remember it’s all about cel­e­brating your gal pals. You don’t need to spend all your money on breakfast, whipped cream, and per­son­alized gifts. Just enjoy your girl­friends.