College Baptist has opened its lot for reg­is­tered student vehicles. Breana Noble | Col­legian

Stu­dents looking to park in College Baptist Church’s lot now must reg­ister their vehicles with Hillsdale College security.

After noticing an increase of stu­dents using the pri­vately-owned lot for parking this year, College Baptist’s board of trustees approached Hillsdale College in the late fall about make a formal agreement for its use, expressing con­cerns about the lot’s use and clearing it of snow during the week.

“We rec­ognize parking is a premium at our prox­imity to the college,” said Mike Roberts, who is also the assistant head­master and ath­letic director for college-owned Hillsdale Academy. “We wanted to figure out how we would be able to have control over the parking lot and be more upfront in com­mu­ni­cation both ways.”

Signs marking the lot for student parking 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Monday through Friday were put up on Tuesday, said Bill Whorley, director of campus security. Notices also reserve the first two rows in the lot for church vis­itors, staff, and attendees.

“Essen­tially it pro­vides an option of another place for reg­is­tered stu­dents to park,” Chief Admin­is­trative Officer Rich Péwé said in an email. “We’re very appre­ciative of the good people at College Baptist Church to go out of their way to be helpful to the college.”

In return for per­mission to use the lot, the college is also pro­viding main­te­nance, including snow removal on the weekdays, Whorley said.

“We think it’s a win-win for both,” College Baptist Pastor Ben Cuthbert said.

Enforcement will begin on Monday to give stu­dents time to reg­ister their vehicles with security. Reg­is­tration costs $50 for each aca­demic year.

Although some stu­dents living off campus expressed annoyance at having to reg­ister their vehicle if they want to park there, they noted the need for more parking.

“I fre­quently park there because I was able to park there and on Hillsdale Street without having to reg­ister my car or worry about getting ticketed,” senior Joshua Lieb­hauser said. “Con­struction makes it dif­ficult to park on the north side of campus. There are not a lot of options for parking, so upper­classmen fre­quently park there or farther away.”

College Baptist and Hillsdale College have had a history of sharing facil­ities, even after they for­mally broke ties in the 1960s. The church typ­i­cally holds the school’s con­vo­cation cer­emony, and 50 to 100 stu­dents reg­u­larly attend service there.

The college and church’s agreement exists on a month by month basis, and they plan to review it, after the stip­u­la­tions are imple­mented.

“We’d like to try it, and we hope it works out well,” Roberts said.