Mock trial looks toward spot at national championship

Home News Mock trial looks toward spot at national championship
Team 1107 competed in the Indiana University Invitational Jan 27-28. Lauren Eicher | Courtesy

After a successful performance weekend, both Hillsdale Mock Trial teams look forward to the semester, aiming for a spot at the National Championship Tournament in April.

Mock Trial Team 1106 finished in sixth place at the Cornell University Invitational, with a record of 5-3, and Team 1107 took 3-5 at the Indiana University Invitational.

Competing against teams from colleges and universities such as Patrick Henry College, University of Pennsylvania, American University, and Cornell University, Team 1106 had a “fantastic” weekend, according to junior Captain Daniel Henreckson.

“They ended up going against some of the top-ranked teams at the tournament, so it was certainly a good tournament with respect to facing quality opponents,” Coach Jonathan Church said. “It was a very solid finish from them.”

The Cornell University Invitational tournament was the second “really tough tournament of the school year,” Henreckson said.

Both teams traveled to Yale University to compete in the Yale University Invitational in December, each scoring records of 4-4.

“As a team, when we went to Cornell, we were much better, better case theory, better performances,” Henreckson said.

Working to improve their case from last semester, the team added a demonstration board this weekend, laying out specifics to improve their case.

“It was beautiful when it was finished,” Henreckson said. “And it is super convincing. When you have rows and rows of evidence, showing a timeline of where the defendant is, and how it is almost certain the defendant was at the scene of the crime, I think that worked really well and impressed the judges.”

Two freshmen took individual awards for their Outstanding Witness performances — Connor Daniels and Mason Aberle. Daniels portrayed a pharmacologist analyzing the credibility of eyewitnesses of the prosecution and Aberle played the role of a homicide detective testifying for the prosecution.

“It was about time they got that,” Henreckson said. “We were all shocked and surprised and really happy.”

Jonathan Church said the team worked factually on their cases leading up to this tournament.

“We basically tore our prosecution and our defense apart for the new semester and I think at this point our set is where we want it to be,” Jonathan Church said.

The Indiana University Invitational hosted teams from University of Cincinnati, Indiana University, Dayton University, and the University of Michigan, in addition to Hillsdale’s Team 1107.

“In some ways it was even more difficult than our competition at Yale,” sophomore Captain Andrew Simpson said. “We had a really good showing.”

Coach Lindsey Church said several of the schools in the competition had really strong programs.

“I was very impressed,” she said. “Especially in the round against Cincinnati and Michigan, my team rose to the level of competition that they were facing. They definitely showed that they can handle some competition and still have really good rounds.”

Freshman Forrest Andresick left his previous position of attorney to take on the position of witness in this tournament. Lindsey Church said taking on a new role this late in the season was a big deal.

“He was very amusing,” Simpson said. “Everyone got behind him and really encouraged him. He did a really good job.”

As the teams look ahead, they will compete at the Regional Competition later this February, hoping to qualify for Nationals.

Simpson said his team has been working really hard and that he hopes they’ll have a good showing at the Regional Tournament.

“It will be very intriguing to see how far they go especially since most of our team are freshmen, with a couple sophomores and one junior,” Simpson said.