Junior Nathan Pando (middle) runs at the Wide Track Classic earlier this season. (Photo: Carmel Kookogey | Col­legian)

At the Hillsdale Tune Up this weekend, the Charger men pol­ished up their per­for­mances in prepa­ration for the G‑MAC Cham­pi­onships. Head coach Andrew Towne was pleased with the team’s overall per­for­mance.

“It went really well,” Towne said. “It was exactly what we want the Tune Up to be. Not everyone com­peted but those who did really readied them­selves for G‑MACs this weekend.”

Junior Nick Fiene took second in what was his first race this season, the 5,000-meter.

“I had gotten injured after cross country,” Fiene said. “So I had to take like eight weeks off. This was my first race of the season. It was just a little bit dif­ferent in general, just being the first meet and running an event that I had never raced before. I’m just glad to be healthy and glad to be back on the track in general.”

Although Fiene may not be par­tic­i­pating in G‑MACs, he says the that those who are are setup to claim the crown.

“I know how our guys team is set up for G‑MACs, with everyone who is healthy,” Fiene said. “I know that we have a good shot to do really well.”

As for prepa­ration, the team is con­tinuing to train as they usually would just with less intensity.

“I’m pretty sure that every person on the team isn’t changing any­thing,” senior Daniel Čhapek said. “We might do less intense workouts so we get more rest. But we’re doing the same thing, because why would we change any­thing?”

Towne said he believes his team is ready, but they have to deliver when the time comes.

“It’s a huge benefit to us to be at home,” Towne said. “And my feeling is that our team dynamic has improved throughout the year. We have a lot of guys fired up and ready to lay it on the line, so to speak.”

Towne said he has been talking to his ath­letes about the intensity and aggression they have to show this weekend.

“I think at times we can have a per­ception as being a little soft because our kids are smart, our kids are good kids,” Towne said. “They’re not trou­ble­makers. They’re not fighters. So some­times we have to get out of that mode of thinking our way through every­thing and being very inten­tional and just compete. We have to be very aggressive.”

The G‑MAC 2017 – 2018 Indoor Track and Field Cham­pi­onships will be held this Friday and Sat­urday. Com­pe­tition will begin at 10 a.m. and con­tinue throughout the day at the Biermann Ath­letics Center.