Junior Nathan Pando (middle) runs at the Wide Track Classic earlier this season. (Photo: Carmel Kookogey | Col­legian)

At the Hillsdale Tune Up this weekend, the Charger men pol­ished up their per­for­mances in prepa­ration for the G-MAC Cham­pi­onships. Head coach Andrew Towne was pleased with the team’s overall per­for­mance.

“It went really well,” Towne said. “It was exactly what we want the Tune Up to be. Not everyone com­peted but those who did really readied them­selves for G-MACs this weekend.”

Junior Nick Fiene took second in what was his first race this season, the 5,000-meter.

“I had gotten injured after cross country,” Fiene said. “So I had to take like eight weeks off. This was my first race of the season. It was just a little bit dif­ferent in general, just being the first meet and running an event that I had never raced before. I’m just glad to be healthy and glad to be back on the track in general.”

Although Fiene may not be par­tic­i­pating in G-MACs, he says the that those who are are setup to claim the crown.

“I know how our guys team is set up for G-MACs, with everyone who is healthy,” Fiene said. “I know that we have a good shot to do really well.”

As for prepa­ration, the team is con­tinuing to train as they usually would just with less intensity.

“I’m pretty sure that every person on the team isn’t changing any­thing,” senior Daniel Čhapek said. “We might do less intense workouts so we get more rest. But we’re doing the same thing, because why would we change any­thing?”

Towne said he believes his team is ready, but they have to deliver when the time comes.

“It’s a huge benefit to us to be at home,” Towne said. “And my feeling is that our team dynamic has improved throughout the year. We have a lot of guys fired up and ready to lay it on the line, so to speak.”

Towne said he has been talking to his ath­letes about the intensity and aggression they have to show this weekend.

“I think at times we can have a per­ception as being a little soft because our kids are smart, our kids are good kids,” Towne said. “They’re not trou­ble­makers. They’re not fighters. So some­times we have to get out of that mode of thinking our way through every­thing and being very inten­tional and just compete. We have to be very aggressive.”

The G-MAC 2017 – 2018 Indoor Track and Field Cham­pi­onships will be held this Friday and Sat­urday. Com­pe­tition will begin at 10 a.m. and con­tinue throughout the day at the Biermann Ath­letics Center.