Mossey Library is an unas­suming envi­ronment for hidden gems, espe­cially in the lit­erary sense. With some tips from Mossey Library Director Dan Knoch, we’ve com­piled a list of truly fas­ci­nating books. A grand selection awaits both the his­torical and lit­erary enthu­siasts.

“Graziella” by A. De Lamartine, 1929.

“Gra­ziella” by A. De Lamartine (Isabella Redjai / Col­legian)

This charming novel tells the story of an eighteen-year-old boy who travels abroad in France and Italy with his rel­a­tives and encounters a myriad of quin­tes­sential European expe­ri­ences. Not only does the story stroke the heart­strings of the reader, but this 1929 edition illus­tra­tions and book cover art are exquisite. This book is for in-library use/reading only.

“The Jungle Book” by Rudyard Kipling.

“The Jungle Book” by Rudyard Kipling (Isabella Redjai / Col­legian)

“The Jungle Book” is already a classic, but the edition in the Her­itage Room is a beau­tiful antique with an engraved cover of an Athenian warrior of sorts, and a title that reads “Girls Public Day School, Trust Limited, East Putney High School.” The interior end­papers have a mag­nif­icent indigo, marble design, with com­ple­mentary pages throughout the book. If these details of the book’s aes­thetic do not capture your attention, perhaps take a look on one of the first pages, and you will find a hand­written note from a past owner, written in 1911.

Poetry by Will Carleton

Will Carleton’s poetry (Isabella Redjai / Col­legian)

If you have ever been in the Dow Room and stumbled upon the glass cases filled with books, you may have missed the fact that all of the authors of these books are pre­vious Hillsdale College stu­dents. One in par­ticular, Will Car­leton, is known as the “poet of the people,” according to Knoch. Car­leton wrote folkish poems, and his most sig­nif­icant is “Over the Hill to the Poor­house,” which describes events of a young woman’s life in the town of Hillsdale. These works of his are over a hundred years old.

“Ulysses” by James Joyce, 1935.

“Ulysses” by James Joyce (Isabella Redjai / Col­legian)

Joyce’s Limited Edi­tions Club edition of “Ulysses” is a beau­tiful book with a brown leather cover and golden engraved celestial images. Hillsdale’s copy is par­tic­u­larly unique because the author James Joyce and illus­trator Henri Matisse hand-signed only 1,500 of these edi­tions, including this one. The book is cur­rently insured for $20,000.

“Three Stories and Ten Poems” by Ernest Hemingway, 1926.

“Three Stories & Ten Poems” by Ernest Hem­ingway (Isabella Redjai / Col­legian)

This book may appear insignif­icant at first, but Hemingway’s first edition print of “Three Stories and Ten Poems” is one of Mossey Library’s greatest assets. Within this book is an imprint from a Paris book­store that Hem­ingway used to fre­quent when he lived there, and it is cur­rently insured for $53,000.