Through learning about American Her­itage people will learn about their family tree. | Pexels

Stu­dents will have the oppor­tunity to learn how they connect to American history on Friday.

The Michigan Society for the Sons of the American Rev­o­lution are holding a genealogy workshop 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Knorr Student Center’s Weigand Com­puter Lab. Par­tic­i­pating Hillsdale College and Academy stu­dents will have the oppor­tunity to use online genealogical resources to explore how their family’s past fits into American history.

“High school and college history can be archaic and distant,” said David W. VanHoof, chan­cellor of the MISSAR. “It’s not rel­evant to their lives. Any type of contact with per­sonal history, it becomes their history, not just national history.”

Those looking to attend the workshop should bring with them the birth dates and location of their grand­parents and great grand­parents if pos­sible.

At 11 a.m., VanHoof will do a half-hour pre­sen­tation on what the Sons and Daughters of the American Rev­o­lution are and the appli­cation process for the groups. After that, stu­dents will use the com­puters in the lab and the Her­itage Quest and Family Search data­bases through Mossey Library to dig through their family’s history.

The workshop is held alongside the MISSAR’s quar­terly board of man­agers meeting. It is the first time the group is doing a genealogy workshop, but VanHoof said he hopes to take it to other cam­puses in the future.

“Under­standing where they come from helps develop within the people today a concept of civic-mind­edness,” VanHoof said. “We’re trying to whet their appetite.”