An interior view of the plans for Christ Chapel. Sheila Butler | Courtesy

With the con­struction costs of the $28.6 million Christ Chapel now com­pletely covered, Hillsdale College is one step closer to the building’s com­pletion in May 2019.

Con­struction for both Christ Chapel and the new dorm on Union Street next to Benzing Res­i­dence is on schedule, according to Chief Admin­is­trative Officer Rich Péwé.

The north wall of the chapel is the next area of focus for Weigand Con­struction in the building’s con­struction. It is also pouring con­crete for the bal­conies this week.

“Pretty soon, they’ll close up the building,” Péwé said.

Although its con­struction costs are covered, the school is still working to raise money for the chapel endowment fund and other fea­tures it hopes to include in the building.

The unnamed dor­mitory finally got walls and a roof over winter break, after con­struction began on it in August. The crew fin­ished the roof just after Christmas in below freezing tem­per­a­tures.

“It seems like they’re really coming along with it,” said senior Macy Mount, Benzing head res­ident assistant. “At the beginning of the year, it was just a hole in the ground.”

For now, the dorm is still unnamed.

“Over-time pro­posals  may be sent to friends who have expressed an interest in sup­porting student housing or this par­ticular project,” Péwé said. “The college would name it once a sig­nif­icant lead gift was made.”

For now, the dorm is being financed with a loan from the college’s endowment. According to Péwé, the college will pay it back over time with interest.

The school still plans to add a café in the dorm.

“It’s got to at least break even,” Pewe said. “I’d love for it to happen, but you have to see if stu­dents will come.”

Péwé added that the dorm, which will house 56 beds, will be ready for student use at the beginning of next school year.

Ren­o­va­tions to Gal­loway Res­i­dence are also scheduled to begin at the end of the semester. The school plans to bring the interior up to the same standard as a new dorm. The ren­o­va­tions will cost $4 million, which is coming from the school’s surplus.

The school is also planning to expand Phillips Audi­torium as a part of its second phase ren­o­vation of the Searle Center. The project is esti­mated to cost $5.6 million.

Previous articleCity debuts new website
Next articleMen’s basketball pushes win streak to four
Jordyn Pair
Jordyn Pair is from Milford, Michigan and plans to study Rhetoric and Public Address and Journalism. She has previously written for Spinal Column and The Madonna Herald, Madonna University's school newspaper. She enjoys writing, photography, and videography, as well as choir, martial arts, and blogging. She plans to pursue a career in journalism. email: jpair@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @jordynpair