City redraws economic development strategy

Home City News City redraws economic development strategy
Courtesy Hillsdale Economic Development

The City of Hillsdale changed the way it manages economic development, according to a Jan. 18 press release.

The release stated the City has not renewed its contract with the Hillsdale Policy Group, run by Mary Wolfram and Professor of economics Gary Wolfram. Mary Wolfram will remain with the city, working on a limited contract with the Tax Increment Finance Authority to assist in the completion of the Dawn Theater and Keefer House projects in downtown Hillsdale.

Previously, Gary Wolfram had informed the Hillsdale’s Economic Development Corporation that he would be resigning at the beginning of Jan.

The management of the city’s economic development has now fallen to City Manager David Mackie, Director of Grants and Economic Development Kelly LoPresto, and Zoning Administrator Alan Beeker.

According to LoPresto, the change is not seismic.

“Our roles have just expanded some,” she told the Collegian.

LoPresto added that the new arrangement will aim to benefit the city as best it can.

“We just want everyone we know that we will work as a team and with other partners in the community with economic development,” she said.

According to Beeker, LoPresto will work with Mackie on the majority of Hillsdale-centric economic development projects. He will continue to handle economic projects in the downtown TIFA district.

Mackie could not be reached for comment.