Charger Chatter: Theresa Smith

Home Charger Swimming Charger Chatter: Theresa Smith
Charger Chatter: Theresa Smith
Charger Athletics | Courtesy

Theresa Smith is a senior from Franklin, Tennessee. She is a member of the Hillsdale College swim team and is studying English.

When did you first start swimming?

I started swimming when I was 10, so I’ve been swimming for 12 years now. I was 10 so I kind of dabbled in a few other sports. I mean, everybody does soccer. But I found swimming and just stuck with it. That’s what I really fell in love with.

Why did you choose Hillsdale College to further your athletic career?

When I chose Hillsdale I didn’t know I was going to be swimming. I was a walk-on. I had to reach out to coach and tell him I was coming to Hillsdale, so I was looking at some other Division III schools who actually wanted me. They couldn’t give me a scholarship but they actually recruited me and everything. I came to Hillsdale more for the academics and the community. Of course, I wanted to swim; I really wanted to swim. But I didn’t really know I would be swimming until coach gave me a call after I decided to come here.

What are your plans for after graduation?

It’s a little up in the air right now. I’m just looking for a job. I want to get involved in maybe doing some think-tank work or I might go teach. Those are probably my two options right now. Law enforcement might be a third. I’m just going to apply and see what happens. I’m going to keep swimming but it’s just going to be as a hobby. I probably won’t join a masters team quite yet. I don’t know. It’s just going to be different not being able to practice with a team, especially with my team of 20 girls. It’s fun to be around them every day.

What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

What free time? I’m a member of the Catholic Society, so I like to be involved with them as much as I can. Also, freelancing with The Collegian has been something I’ve enjoyed here.

What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?

I could probably honestly say that my greatest accomplishment will be graduating Hillsdale. Honestly, people always say ‘How do you do it with athletics?’ but since athletics has kept me so busy, it has helped me to stay on a schedule and keep up with my school work and ensure that I’m sleeping and eating and that sort of thing. I can’t say it has been easier but I think it has been better, more rewarding.

What has your experience been like managing school and swimming?

Its been positive. Of course, there are those days when I wish I could stay up until 2 a.m. writing a paper draft but I know I have morning practice. I guess it has been a big time commitment, obviously. I really just don’t waste my time; that’s how I manage my time. That’s the short answer.

What’s the most exciting moment you have had during swimming?

I think the most exciting moments in general are when I watch my teammates succeed. Whether it’s someone winning first place or somebody just in the middle of the field that gets a really awesome time or a season-best and they got out of the pool and they’re just so happy with it. I think the best moments are when I get to celebrate my teammates’ successes with them.

Have there been any big challenges with the team this year?

There have been a lot of challenges going into conference. We’ve been dealing with staying healthy and staying injury-free. We’ve had a few injuries in the last couple weeks, so just people recovering from sickness and injury, but I think everything is going to fall into place and we’re going to have a really good team going into conference. I think it will be good. It will be a definite challenge to win but we’re gonna give it our best effort. And with our best effort that’s going to be a winning team.

Do you have any rituals that you do during meets?

Ten minutes before any meet begins, coach will talk to us and give us final words of wisdom, and then we will all circle up and pray together, and then we do a team cheer and then we break and go swim our best. And then, individually, right before I race, I always make the sign of the cross.