Catholic Society to hold silent retreat this weekend

Home News Catholic Society to hold silent retreat this weekend
Catholic Society Women’s Retreat in Spring of 2017. Amalia Hansen | Courtesy

Hillsdale College Catholic society will participate in an all-women’s “silent retreat” this weekend at the De Sales Center in Brooklyn, Michigan. In two weeks, the group will participate in an all-men’s retreat.

The Catholic Society spearheads these retreats each spring semester. Society President junior Sammy Roberts described the retreat as a time for silence, reflection, confession, and spiritual guidance.

“We live in a world of constant noise, and so it’s kind of nice to break away from that and start your semester off in silence,” Roberts said.

Roberts added that although the group of students who will attend are primarily members of the Catholic Society, the opportunity is open to all Hillsdale students.

“If someone is just interested in what Catholic spirituality looks like, just go for it,” Roberts said. “At the very least, you get a weekend to relax in silence and pray.”

The idea of a silent retreat follows the order of Ignatian spirituality, a concept that originated during the sixteenth century with St. Ignatius of Loyola. Senior Amalia Hansen described the Spiritual Exercises that are a part of Ignatian spirituality.

“The two principles of the Spiritual Exercises are meditation and contemplation,” senior Amalia Hansen said. “The talks are about meditation, and through that they give you advice for contemplation. You decide on resolutions for your own life. The talks are really helpful for giving you practical advice.”

During the retreats, students will have opportunities to attend Mass, pray, reflect, attend short talks, and receive one-on-one guidance, spiritual or otherwise.

“The way they structure the retreats is really helpful,” Hansen said. “They fill your time enough that you’re able to stay focused. There’s also time for silence on your own. To be in the presence of God is the goal of this contemplation.”

According to students who have been on the retreat in previous years, the time to disconnect from the busyness of everyday life is valuable.

“I’d never been on a silent retreat before last year,” sophomore Maggie Vangieson said. “I felt going in really stressed, but it was a good way to reset and remove myself from the business that we have here.”

Vangieson said that although some students may be wary of spending a weekend away from their busy lives of academics and obligations, the opportunity to attend the retreat is worthwhile.

“If I give the time to God, he always gives time to me,” Vangieson said. “I gave him this weekend I didn’t really want to give him and he gave me time to complete all my tasks.”

Students can sign up for the retreat at the top of the stairs in Grewcock Student Union during the lunch hour on Friday or by contacting Roberts by email at sroberts@hillsdale.edu. The cost for the retreat is $30 per student, a significant discount from the De Sales Center’s regular fee for retreats, according to Vangieson.

Roberts reiterated the value for all students, regardless of circumstances, to take an opportunity to spend time in quiet introspection and meditation.

“Whether you’re a freshman going on it for a first time or a senior getting ready to graduate, it’s a time to take a step back, take a deep breath, and realize you’re not in control of your life,” Roberts said. “The sooner that you do that, the more joyful a person you can be.”