(Photo: Hillsdale College Ath­letics)

Despite what a foot of snow on the ground may indicate, it’s baseball season.

The Chargers will travel to Johnson City, Ten­nessee, this weekend to open their season with a four-game set against former GLIAC foe Saginaw Valley.

After grad­u­ating only two seniors from last year’s squad, Hillsdale brings an expe­ri­enced group to its first season in the G-MAC. Seniors pitcher Phil Carey and out­fielder Ryan O’Hearn said this has brought both role clarity and con­fi­dence to the team.

This veteran squad, however, will be faced with an excep­tionally tough schedule.

“We’re excited to get started, and it doesn’t start slow, so we’re not going to be able to start slow,” head coach Eric Theisen said of a non-con­ference schedule, which fea­tures six teams which received votes for a pre-season national top-20 ranking.

According to Thiesen, this is exactly the way the Chargers want it to be.

“We scheduled it this way on purpose because we think we’ve got that level of talent,” he said. “And we’re looking at it like we’re their test.”

Preparing for these kinds of tests in Michigan during January and Feb­ruary comes with its own chal­lenges. In fact, the team has only been able to practice outside once all spring. Despite this, Theisen said pitchers have worked their way near to 100-pitch con­di­tioning mark and that hitters have seen at least 30 live plate appear­ances. In the end, he said the ability to come out of the snow and play good baseball comes down to ath­leticism, and he believes pitching and bats can get the team past any potential cobwebs.

“The way we’re built, and our identity, the offense should be strong enough to out­weigh that setback,” he said. “And we think we have good enough ath­letes, to be honest, that it’s like riding a bike.”

When Thiesen refers to a “good offense,” he means it. The Chargers averaged almost 6.5 runs per game last season while swatting 50 home runs. Of those 50 long balls, 38 return to the lineup, including 17 from junior catcher Steven Ring, who led the GLIAC last season.

The offense, however, is not one dimen­sional. The Chargers also bring back the 2017 GLIAC steals leader in O’Hearn, who swiped 23 bags last season, and junior infielder Colin Boerst, who took 16 bags of his own last year, which tied for fourth in the GLIAC.

“We have a very threat­ening offense in many ways,” Theisen said. “We will have four or five guys in at a time with green lights on the bases, along with having four or five guys at one time that can put the ball over the fence and cause some damage. That com­bi­nation of skills in the lineup make it very dan­gerous.”

Boerst, who hit 10 home runs last season, also adds to the team’s power potential, along with junior infielder Dylan Lot­tinville, who hit six home runs in 2017 and also won the Chargers’ home­coming home run derby.

Several other heavy 2017 offensive con­trib­utors return to the field for the Chargers this season. Carey said other teams should cer­tainly take note when Hillsdale comes to town.

“They’re not going to want to pitch to us,” he said. “I’ll tell you straight up, they’ve hit every­thing I’ve been throwing, so it’ll be a sad day for other teams if they’re off even a little bit on the mound.”

While the offense has been the identity of Hillsdale baseball in recent years, the strength of the pitching should not be over­looked.

“We’ve got depth on the mound,” Theisen said. “We’ve got more depth on the mound than we’ve had in a long time.”

Theisen said the pitchers returned to campus a week and a half early this spring, after starting the 2017 season slow in regards to stamina. He said this paid off, resulting in pitchers ready to take on 100 pitches in their first starts and guys topping out their velocity.

Theisen said he expects to see Carey and senior Will Kruse, along with sopho­mores Andrew Ver­brugge and Kolton Rominski start games in the opening weekend, but the con­tri­bution will go far beyond that.

According to Theisen, the first goal the team has set its sights on is a regional berth in the NCAA tour­nament.

“Everybody knows we’re playing to get a shot at the regional. That’s the first step of the national tour­nament. You don’t have a chance to win a national cham­pi­onship unless you make the regional,” he said. “So, get to the regional, and play your heart out — that’s the goal.”

Theisen added that the team hopes to be in a position for an at-large berth by winning 30 – 35 games.

“We’ve done the math, and we know how that’s going to work out, and shoot, if we win a con­ference cham­pi­onship on accident along the way that’s great,” he said.

The Chargers know that non-con­ference results will play a large part in putting them­selves in that position.

“I told our guys the other day in a text, we will establish our­selves as a regional and national con­tender in the first month of the season or we won’t,” Theisen said. “That first month…by the end of that pre-con­ference ‘warm-up’ we’ll know how good we are. It won’t be a question.”

O’Hearn said the Chargers are just excited for the oppor­tunity.

“We don’t play until the spring, so we’ve been training since August, and it all leads up to this weekend,” he said. “We’ve been cooped up inside, which is not natural for a baseball player. We’re sup­posed to be outside; not in a barn or the Biermann Center, so we’re super excited. It seems like everyone is amped up, because we know what is coming up here soon.”

Previous articleQ&A: 200 years of Douglass
Next articleWorld Youth Alliance to hold conference
Stevan Bennett Jr. is a senior from the pumpkin capital of the world, Morton, Illinois. He is studying economics and journalism, and plans on attending law school after Hillsdale. He has written for the Collegian since 2014 and is the sports editor. His addictions include coffee, the Chicago Cubs, NHL 2015, and miscellaneous adventuring. email: Sbennett1@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @StevanBennett