Hillsdale College hosted more than 800 ath­letes at this weekend’s Wide Track Classic. (Photo: Carmel Kookogey | Col­legian)

Senior Hannah McIntyre led the women’s track team to victory in the mile race, the second dis­tance victory in two weeks. McIntyre fin­ished in 4:49.6. Junior Ally Eads, close behind, fin­ished in second place with a time of 4:59.67. Freshman Christina Sawyer came in fifth and Addison Rauch, a sophomore, fin­ished in 10th place.

“My whole goal has been to go in and break five,” Eads said. “And this time I told myself I had to do it, and that’s what hap­pened.”

She said the weekend was “huge” for the dis­tance team, praising her team­mates.

Freshman Maryssa Depies took second in the 3,000 meter with a time of 9:50, a per­sonal record. Depies raced late in the evening, giving the event an unusual and less nerve-racking envi­ronment.

“There was an awesome atmos­phere,” Depies said. “There were a lot of people there. Our team’s really good at sup­porting each other, so there was a lot of that going on.”

Depies also made pro­vi­sional marks, fin­ishing second in the 3,000 meter, and Kyleigh Edwards, also a freshman, took fourth place in the same race.

The Wide Track Classic, a two-day meet, is more com­pet­itive than meets earlier in the season, including teams from Eastern Michigan Uni­versity, Western Michigan Uni­versity, Grand Valley State Uni­versity, and Academy of Art, an arts school in San Fran­cisco, and Simon Fraser Uni­versity in British Columbia. Head Coach Andrew Towne said each meet in the season is more sig­nif­icant than the last.

“It’s developed into our bigger meet of the indoor season,” Towne said.“…Overall it was a really com­pet­itive meet in most spots for us, which is good.”

Senior Rachael Tolsma con­tinued to dis­tin­guish herself in throwing, taking third place with a dis­tance of 17.76 meters in the weight throw.

In the 200 meter sprint, freshman Zoe Eby made an NCAA pro­vi­sional time, fin­ishing in 25.1 seconds. Senior Ashlee Moran won her flight of the race in 25.68 seconds. Moran and Eby, along with senior Vic­toria Wichmann and freshman Carmen Botha fin­ished second in the 4x400 relay with a time of 3:54.32.

Depies said that tran­si­tioning from high­school, where she didn’t expe­rience com­pe­tition, to Hillsdale has been a good adjustment.

“It’s cool to see us all succeed together,” she said.  “Every one of us who ran the 3,000 meter PR’d by 20 seconds.”

Sat­urday, the team will be heading back to Grand Valley State Uni­versity, the last full team meet until the team com­petes in the G-MACs in three weeks.