Parents’ Weekend is fast approaching. This year, parents of stu­dents will come from all over the country on March 16 – 18 to meet with pro­fessors and make sure their kids are getting enough to eat. The hotels in Hillsdale are likely to be all booked up, but luckily, there are other options.

What some out-of-towners may not know is that Hillsdale is a small town and going ten minutes out of the way to the city of Jonesville isn’t much of a hike. If vis­itors don’t get first pick at staying in the Dow Center, all is not lost. With this guide, parents can find some­where suitable to stay so they can focus on spending time with their kids.

Munro House Bed and Breakfast

(Allison Schuster | Col­legian)

Voted the National Bed & Breakfast Award “Best Near a College or Uni­versity” according to Arrington’s Inn Traveler Book of Lists, the Munro House Bed and Breakfast is the oldest house in Hillsdale County and was used as a station in the Under­ground Railroad. Amenities include air con­di­tioning, private baths, cable TV, massage and spa ser­vices, and free wireless internet. It’s a little on the smaller side with only seven rooms, so be sure to reserve your room early. Breakfast is offered every morning.

Dow Center

(Allison Schuster | Col­legian)

The Dow Hotel & Con­ference Center is by far the closest option to the college. This on-campus hotel offers an ideal location to keep parents close to stu­dents. Rooms provide a writing desk, a sep­arate bathroom and vanity areas, free Wi-Fi, a Keurig coffee-maker, and cable TV. Addi­tional amenities include auto­mated wake-up calls, a nearby ATM, and free use of the Hillsdale College Sports Complex. The lobby areas are open for guests to enjoy, where com­pli­mentary coffee is pro­vided.

Camping Spots

(Allison Schuster | Col­legian)

The John Anthony Halter Shooting Sports Edu­cation Center, owned by Hillsdale College and home to Hillsdale’s Shotgun Team and shooting clubs since 2008, has opened four RV and camper spaces on its grounds. Each space pro­vides elec­trical and sewer abil­ities and access to restroom and shower facil­ities located in the nearby archery building. The Shooting Sports Edu­cation Center is located about five miles away from the college. Although none are cur­rently open, cot­tages are in the fundraising stage and will likely be available in the future.

Hillsdale College Home Connection

(Wiki­media Commons)

The Hillsdale College Home Con­nection pro­vides lodging in local homes. Many options are available with wide price ranges and amenities, so you’re sure to find what you’re looking for. Through the Hillsdale College Home Con­nection website, you can easily browse through the dif­ferent lodging options and book your stay.

Rooms at Grayfield

(Allison Schuster | Col­legian)

This bed and breakfast and ren­o­vated 19th-century roadstop is located about ten minutes away from campus in Jonesville, Mich. The five guest bed­rooms are spa­cious and set apart from the owner’s room and offer “con­tem­porary comfort and casual ele­gance,” according to the Rooms at Gray­field website. Amenities include large bath­rooms, flat-screen tele­vi­sions, and free Wi-Fi. Most rooms boast views of the outdoor garden, which fea­tures a koi pond and clipped lawns. Breakfast is available pri­vately at 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. or later if arranged.