Career Ser­vices gives pre­sen­tation. | Col­legian

Five stu­dents will present tips on internship hunting and prof­iting from these expe­ri­ences Friday at noon in Lane 124, in the cul­mi­nation of Summer in the Snow, the career ser­vices office’s week-long event.

The panel will includes five seniors: Ashlee Moran, who interned for inter­na­tional mar­keting firm Valassis Com­mu­ni­ca­tions, Eliz­abeth Garner, who interned with the Smith­sonian Institution’s National Por­trait Gallery in Wash­ington, D.C., Brendan Clarey, who spent a summer at the New York Post, Luke Ens, who interned in financial man­agement, and Brenna Tremp, a bio intern who worked at the Uni­versity of Oregon last summer.

Garner, who worked in the office of insti­tu­tional advancement, called her job a growing expe­rience and a great resume builder as she works toward her master’s in art and museum studies.

Moran, a student affairs mentor, said the goal is to get stu­dents to feel more com­fortable about finding intern­ships and to equip them with the resources to do so, including alumni with con­nec­tions and a desire to help.

While eating pizza, attendees will hear from the five about their expe­ri­ences, how they found the listings, and how these oppor­tu­nities helped them decide on their career fields.

Monday, Career Ser­vices handed out coffee and donuts and encouraged stu­dents to write their plans on a chalk­board. Tuesday, SAMs met one-on-one with stu­dents in Olds, McIntyre, Gal­loway, and Simpson res­i­dences, and AJ’s Café. Wednesday, Career Ser­vices co-hosted a showing of “The Internship” with the Student Activ­ities Board.

Senior and Student Affairs Mentor English Hinton spear­headed the series. She said the goal was to kick­start the search process earlier, when there are more oppor­tu­nities.

“So many people get stressed when it’s at the last minute,” said Hinton, adding that it’s hard to think about some­thing far away, even though winter is peak internship-searching time.

Hinton said intern­ships are important because they shape classes stu­dents take in the future and what oppor­tu­nities they seek out the next summer.

Hinton encouraged stu­dents who can’t come to the panel to make an appointment with Career Ser­vices to meet with a SAM or staff member.