Hillsdale Stu­dents attend March for Life. | Madeline Fry

Junior Kathleen Russo, pres­ident of the Hillsdale Stu­dents for Life, orga­nized the trip to Wash­ington, D.C., for Hillsdale stu­dents, who rode there on two buses the night before the march.

“At Hillsdale, we hear about all these big, important ideas like human rights. The march is an oppor­tunity to apply what we learn to real life,” Russo said. “It also keeps stu­dents in mind of service. It’s not a pleasure trip. They don’t have much free time.”

Before the march, as stu­dents con­gre­gated on the steps of the National Museum of American History, pres­ident of the March for Life Jeanne Mancini greeted pro­testors at a rally.

“You are part of the largest annual human rights demon­stration in the world,” Mancini said.

Pres­ident Donald Trump and Vice Pres­ident Mike Pence also spoke at the rally via telecast from the Rose Garden. Trump said his admin­is­tration is com­mitted to sup­porting the pro-life movement.

“Today, I’m honored and really proud to be the first Pres­ident to stand with you here at the White House to address the 45th March for Life,” Trump said. “You come from many back­grounds, many places.  But you all come for one beau­tiful cause: to build a society where life is cel­e­brated, pro­tected, and cher­ished.”

Trump reminded marchers that last year he rein­stated the Reagan-era Mexico City policy, which blocks federal funding from going to foreign non-gov­ern­mental orga­ni­za­tions that offer abortion advocacy or referrals.

Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of German Fred Yaniga, a co-advisor to Stu­dents for Life along with Pro­fessor of English Michael Jordan, said the president’s presence, even remotely, inspired the marchers.

“It’s good for the dynamic and the spirit of the crowd,” Yaniga said, “good to have an admin­is­tration that backs the cause.”

Yaniga said he worried the student atten­dance at the march would be smaller than last year, but that wasn’t the case.

“I love to see Hillsdale stu­dents moti­vated from words to actions,” Yaniga said. “It’s a fan­tastic group to be part of.”

Junior Bobbie Briggs, who attended the march last year, painted several signs for stu­dents to carry during their walk down the National Mall. One that she held read, “A real fem­inist chooses life.”

“It’s because life is life, and even in the womb, a woman’s life matters,” Briggs said. “You can’t just pick and choose based on location which life is valuable.”

Andrew Egger ’17, who attended the march as a reporter for the Weekly Standard, said he noticed a pos­itive attitude among the marchers.

“I was sort of sur­prised that this event — which is about protesting a sort of grave evil that is sort of infesting our country — was such a hopeful and pos­itive and even upbeat affair,” Egger said. “It’s a cause that’s just sort of fun­da­men­tally decent and vibrant and joyful, which is that life is worth cel­e­brating.”

The morning of the march, the House of Rep­re­sen­ta­tives passed the Born-Alive Abortion Sur­vivors Pro­tection Act, a bill to require doctors to care for babies born alive during an abortion or an abortion attempt.

Senior Ilsa Epling said when she heard the news, she felt the atmos­phere around her shift.

“Word about the passage through the House of the Born-Alive bill started to come through, and the already hopeful feeling in the air just got amped up beyond description,” Epling said. “The vibe at the last march was cau­tious optimism; this year, it was buoyant hope, and it was beau­tiful.”

Despite a record crowd, the March for Life was once again ignored by the Main­stream Media net­works. It doesn’t fit their Leftist-biased nar­rative, so they don’t give it any cov­erage. But if a couple hundred women walk down Penn­syl­vania Avenue wearing pink hats and demanding unhin­dered Abortion Rights the MSM are all over it. No con­ser­v­ative I know trust them to provide unbiased news cov­erage anymore.