Makenna Ott is a junior from Haslett, Michigan. She is a forward on the women’s basketball team and is studying nancial management.
- What is your position on the Women’s Basketball team?
I am a guard/forward.
- How long have you played basketball, and what first encouraged you to begin playing?
I’ve played basketball since fourth grade. I was a dancer all of my life up until then. I came home from school one day and told my parents I wanted to play basketball, because all my friends played basketball and encouraged me to start playing.
- Do you have any pre-game rituals?
It depends on if we’re at home or on the road. I always make sure to be at the gym at a certain time, and then to be on the court at a certain time. I listen to music and go over my scout report. In the mornings, we always have a pre-game meal, and then I’ll usually rest until I have to be at the gym.
- What is one of your best memories while being on the Hillsdale women’s basketball team?
I have so many memories. It would be difficult to just pick one, but my teammates are what make things so memorable. When we’re on the road we get to see new places; for example, when we played Trevecca, we stopped in downtown Nashville, and found a place to eat, and just explored what Nashville had to offer.
- Was there any specific moments or individuals who influenced your experience while on the team or even your time at Hillsdale, in general?
I definitely had moments when I realized how fortunate I am to be here, especially after I’ve seen different places, I’ve realized I am meant to be here at Hillsdale. My teammates though are the most important. They’re your instant group of friends, and you have them there to lean on. Also, Coach Fritsche has had a huge influence on us, and helps us enjoy our college experience and being a part of the Women’s Basketball team.
- What is your mantra?
“Have faith.” Most recently the verse that has had a serious impact on me is Exodus 14:14, which says, “The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”
- What is your favorite piece you have read while attending Hillsdale?
There isn’t one specific piece, but certain classes were really influential and I was amazed with what my professors were sharing. One in particular was my Western Religion class I took the summer before I officially attended Hillsdale. It opened my eyes to a lot of things and helped me study the Bible.
- If you could make any change in the world, what would it be (apart from world peace)?
I would love to remove stress from the world.
- Where is your favorite place to go off-campus in Hillsdale?
Technically it’s in Jonesville, but I love Udderside.
- Speed round: Coffee or tea? Town or country? Five Guys or Steak ‘n Shake? Crewneck or hoodie? Nike or Adidas?
Steak ‘n Shake.
Nike (although we’re Adidas-sponsored).