Accreditors visit campus next week

Home News Accreditors visit campus next week
Accreditors visit campus next week
Accreditors will visit the college Monday. | Courtesy

Five college accreditors will visit Hillsdale College’s campus Monday through Wednesday, as a part of the school’s decennial reaccreditation process with the Higher Learning Commission.

The review marks the end of Hillsdale’s first year on what the HLC calls its Open Pathway, a 10-year accreditation process. The organization assesses Hillsdale for quality assurance, institutional advancement, and compliance with certain U.S. Education Department requirements. Attendance to an accredited institution provides many benefits, including the ability to apply to graduate school programs and participate in NCAA athletics.

“The purpose of Higher Learning Commission is for its member institutions to help each other and identify best practices and improve our institution, in an ideal world,” Assistant to the Provost Mark Maier said.

The college submitted an Assurance Argument in December. The digital document is meant to provide evidence to support Hillsdale in its assertion of meeting its mission and goals and the HLC’s criteria.

Professors and administrators from commission member colleges and universities will tour campus and meet with Hillsdale’s faculty, staff, and senior leadership.

Students will also have the opportunity to speak to the accreditors during open forums in Markel Auditorium.

On Monday from 2 to 2:45 p.m., discussion will center on Hillsdale’s mission, communication of that mission, integrity, and ethical and responsible conduct. From 3 to 3:45 p.m., it will shift to academic quality, resources, and support. On Tuesday from 9 to 10 a.m., it will focus on Hillsdale’s ability to meet its mission and goals.

“Attendees at each forum should come prepared to make comments and ask questions pertaining to the college’s fulfillment of each criterion,” Director of Institutional Research George Allen said. “Attendees may also wish to simply come and listen to the discussion.”