Hillsdale stu­dents at the ‘March for Life’ last weekend in Wash­ington, D.C. Josephine von Dohlen | Col­legian

The Student Fed­er­ation approved the allo­cation of $4,000 to the Stu­dents for Life club, passed a variety of amend­ments, cleaned up its club list, and swore in new Student Fed­er­ation Pres­ident junior Natalie Meckel on Nov. 30.

The Stu­dents for Life club travels each year to the March For Life in Wash­ington, D.C. This year, the club asked for $4,000 to cover the cost of the bus trip, an increase from the pre­vious year.

The fed­er­ation approved the request and gave full funding.

Stu­dents for Life Pres­ident junior Kathleen Russo expressed her appre­ci­ation and described the great favor the fed­er­ation did for the stu­dents.

“We don’t want to have to ask stu­dents to pay a large amount, because it is a service trip,” Russo said. “They’re going to serve their country by advo­cating for public policy that does good for human rights and such. To be able to keep the costs at such a modest amount is incredible for the cause and for stu­dents, and it’s some­thing we want to be able to do for them.”

On Monday, the fed­er­ation held a fundraiser with the pro­ceeds from spe­cialty drinks and hot chocolate at A.J.’s Cafe. The fed­er­ation donated half of the pro­ceeds to Domestic Harmony, a domestic vio­lence shelter in Hillsdale,and the other half to the family of junior Julia Bosco, whose brother lost his sight in a shooting accident.

“I think these are two great causes as one ben­efits the Hillsdale com­munity and the other rec­og­nizes our service to the student body,” Student Fed Vice Pres­ident senior Maria Theisen said.  

The fed­er­ation also swore in junior Natalie Meckel as next semester’s fed­er­ation pres­ident and freshman Brett Anger as the new Sigma Chi rep­re­sen­tative.

Meckel said she is ready to take the helm as the group’s leader but is thankful for the work that the fed­er­ation has done this semester. She said she’d like the fed­er­ation to become more pro­fes­sional.

“I know Andres Torres, a junior, did a fan­tastic job improving the campus image of Student Fed­er­ation intro­ducing more formal business pro­ce­dures, pro­fes­sional behavior in our meetings, upping the dress code, things like that,” Meckel said. “I’m excited to keep pro­moting that.”