Students study in classrooms. Collegian.

A four-student panel sponsored by academic services offered advice for surviving hell and finals week on Nov. 29. About 25 students attended the talk which took place in the Heritage Room.

The panel consisted of seniors Hannah Niemeier and Andrea Lee, as well as sophomores Patrick Votel and Henry Brink.

Votel cautioned his fellow students not to overthink finals week and hell week, the week proceeding finals week when students typically turn in term papers and finish semester-long assignments.

“It would be ill-advised to take finals lightly, but it’s important to remember it’s just a test,” Votel said. “Something I’ve found very helpful is to take time out of the day, despite the stress, to have fun for an hour.”

For Votel, he said pickup basketball works as a healthy study break. Brink said candy helps him focus.

“Make sure you’re joy-giving not just joy-having,” Brink said. “I like to go to Walmart and buy some candy. It will cheer up your friends and keep you energized.”

Lee offered more academically-related advice. She said to remember for every hour you spend in class, two to three hours should be spent studying. For freshmen, she emphasized staying focused.

“Keep your extracurriculars limited the first year,” Lee said. “Separating your study and break time can also be helpful. Turn off your phone and don’t look at emails. It will make your break time more rewarding.”

Niemeier said she found it helpful to develop a personalized work schedule.

“I prioritize what things I do when I’m at 100 percent brainpower.” Niemeier said. “Working on a paper at 11:30 p.m. at night doesn’t work for me. So I write in the morning. Things I do late at night when I’m very tired are reading, transcribing interviews since I’m a journalist, and pulling notes together.”

For freshman Dominic Bulgur, the talk was the last of several talks sponsored by Academic Services he attended this semester.

“It was a really helpful discussion,” said Bulgur. “I thought there were a lot of good points especially about time management, taking good breaks and keeping your sanity.”

Votel ended his speaking time by encouraging students to make the most of the stressful days ahead.

“You can beat those classes,” Votel exclaimed. “Make war on all those tests. Turn all your essays into battles and think, ‘I’m going to win because this is annoying, and I will be done with it soon.’”