Stu­dents study in class­rooms. Col­legian.

A four-student panel spon­sored by aca­demic ser­vices offered advice for sur­viving hell and finals week on Nov. 29. About 25 stu­dents attended the talk which took place in the Her­itage Room.

The panel con­sisted of seniors Hannah Niemeier and Andrea Lee, as well as sopho­mores Patrick Votel and Henry Brink.

Votel cau­tioned his fellow stu­dents not to over­think finals week and hell week, the week pro­ceeding finals week when stu­dents typ­i­cally turn in term papers and finish semester-long assign­ments.

“It would be ill-advised to take finals lightly, but it’s important to remember it’s just a test,” Votel said. “Some­thing I’ve found very helpful is to take time out of the day, despite the stress, to have fun for an hour.”

For Votel, he said pickup bas­ketball works as a healthy study break. Brink said candy helps him focus.

“Make sure you’re joy-giving not just joy-having,” Brink said. “I like to go to Walmart and buy some candy. It will cheer up your friends and keep you ener­gized.”

Lee offered more aca­d­e­m­i­cally-related advice. She said to remember for every hour you spend in class, two to three hours should be spent studying. For freshmen, she empha­sized staying focused.

“Keep your extracur­ric­ulars limited the first year,” Lee said. “Sep­a­rating your study and break time can also be helpful. Turn off your phone and don’t look at emails. It will make your break time more rewarding.”

Niemeier said she found it helpful to develop a per­son­alized work schedule.

“I pri­or­itize what things I do when I’m at 100 percent brain­power.” Niemeier said. “Working on a paper at 11:30 p.m. at night doesn’t work for me. So I write in the morning. Things I do late at night when I’m very tired are reading, tran­scribing inter­views since I’m a jour­nalist, and pulling notes together.”

For freshman Dominic Bulgur, the talk was the last of several talks spon­sored by Aca­demic Ser­vices he attended this semester.

“It was a really helpful dis­cussion,” said Bulgur. “I thought there were a lot of good points espe­cially about time man­agement, taking good breaks and keeping your sanity.”

Votel ended his speaking time by encour­aging stu­dents to make the most of the stressful days ahead.

“You can beat those classes,” Votel exclaimed. “Make war on all those tests. Turn all your essays into battles and think, ‘I’m going to win because this is annoying, and I will be done with it soon.’”