Senior Rachael Reynolds won first place in pho­tog­raphy for her shot of a man in Volterra, Italy. Rachael Reynolds | Courtesy

Stu­dents and faculty gathered in the gallery of Sage Center for the Arts on Tuesday to cel­e­brate stu­dents’ cre­ative suc­cesses at the Fall Student Art Exhibit, fea­turing artwork in various mediums from drawing to sculpture.

The exhibit opened with an award cer­emony where works of art won through both student votes as well as faculty choice. 

Seniors Elise Clines, Isaac Dell, and Stephanie Rose won faculty recog­nition. 

As a part of the student-choice awards, first place in the drawing cat­egory went to senior Stephanie Rose for her charcoal por­trait “A Tired Gaze.” There was a three-way tie in the pastel cat­egory between two of senior Elise Clines’ pieces and sophomore Joanna Dell’s “Bearded Man.” 

First place in pho­tog­raphy went to senior Rachel Reynolds for “Buon­giorno,” a pho­to­graph taken in Volterra, Italy, on an excursion during her summer studies.

Reynolds said she fol­lowed the man around for a while, waiting for geometry, lighting, and engagement from him to be bal­anced and snapping pho­tographs before she got the ideal shot as he was leaving a market. He was just turning around to laugh at some children, which explains his joyous expression.

“I was really happy with how it turned out — all the stars aligned for this one, and that’s what’s really dif­ficult about street pho­tog­raphy,” Reynolds said. “You have about three seconds to make all sorts of deci­sions.”

Junior Makenzie Self won first place in graphic design for her illus­tration of Lewis Emery Park in Hillsdale, com­bining pho­tog­raphy and typog­raphy.

“It’s very engaging and emo­tional,” Teacher of Art Bryan Springer said.

Senior Isaac Dell placed first in sculpture for his lifelike self-por­trait.

“He cap­tured his likeness but also his spirit,” Asso­ciate Pro­fessor of Art Anthony Fru­dakis said. “A good por­trait cap­tures the spirit of the model. There’s a richness in the texture of his face.”

The exhibit will stay in Sage until Jan. 12, so stu­dents can enjoy artwork from “Bearded Man” to “Buon­giorno” through next year.