Senior Rachael Reynolds won first place in photography for her shot of a man in Volterra, Italy. Rachael Reynolds | Courtesy

Students and faculty gathered in the gallery of Sage Center for the Arts on Tuesday to celebrate students’ creative successes at the Fall Student Art Exhibit, featuring artwork in various mediums from drawing to sculpture.

The exhibit opened with an award ceremony where works of art won through both student votes as well as faculty choice. 

Seniors Elise Clines, Isaac Dell, and Stephanie Rose won faculty recognition. 

As a part of the student-choice awards, first place in the drawing category went to senior Stephanie Rose for her charcoal portrait “A Tired Gaze.” There was a three-way tie in the pastel category between two of senior Elise Clines’ pieces and sophomore Joanna Dell’s “Bearded Man.” 

First place in photography went to senior Rachel Reynolds for “Buongiorno,” a photograph taken in Volterra, Italy, on an excursion during her summer studies.

Reynolds said she followed the man around for a while, waiting for geometry, lighting, and engagement from him to be balanced and snapping photographs before she got the ideal shot as he was leaving a market. He was just turning around to laugh at some children, which explains his joyous expression.

“I was really happy with how it turned out — all the stars aligned for this one, and that’s what’s really difficult about street photography,” Reynolds said. “You have about three seconds to make all sorts of decisions.”

Junior Makenzie Self won first place in graphic design for her illustration of Lewis Emery Park in Hillsdale, combining photography and typography.

“It’s very engaging and emotional,” Teacher of Art Bryan Springer said.

Senior Isaac Dell placed first in sculpture for his lifelike self-portrait.

“He captured his likeness but also his spirit,” Associate Professor of Art Anthony Frudakis said. “A good portrait captures the spirit of the model. There’s a richness in the texture of his face.”

The exhibit will stay in Sage until Jan. 12, so students can enjoy artwork from “Bearded Man” to “Buongiorno” through next year.