Copy­right Free — Stock Free images. Public Domain image ded­i­cation. CC0 1.0 Uni­versal Licence —

Nearly $900 that went missing from a College Repub­licans lockbox has been returned.

The lockbox used during the College Repub­licans Panera Bread Fundraiser early last month was inad­ver­tently left unat­tended overnight in a down­stairs cubby in the Grewcock Student Union. The box con­tained checks, cash, and coins. A member of College Repub­licans lead­ership noticed the unat­tended box the fol­lowing day and returned it to the Student Activ­ities Office for safe­keeping, where it was retrieved by club pres­ident Ross Hatley that afternoon. Hatley dis­covered the money was missing at that time.

Only the paper cash, totaling to $893, was taken.

The College Repub­licans reported the theft to the Hillsdale City Police as well as campus author­ities. But on Sat­urday night, Nov. 4, the money was returned anony­mously to security staff on campus.

This is the first time a major theft like this has taken place on campus, according to Dean of Men Aaron Petersen.

“Though it’s rare, we take things like this very seri­ously and want to take measure that things like this don’t happen again,” Petersen said.

The College Repub­licans posted a statement on its Facebook page on Tuesday detailing the theft and reas­sured members it is updating their fundraiser pro­ce­dures to prevent another theft from hap­pening.

“Basi­cally there was a mis­com­mu­ni­cation involved,” said junior Rachel Umaña, Hillsdale College Repub­licans vice pres­ident, who added that the group plans to ensure members remove money from the lockbox daily during fundraisers in the future.

Although police have closed their official inves­ti­gation, Petersen said the college con­siders the inves­ti­gation open inter­nally.

The admin­is­tration is con­sid­ering all pos­si­bil­ities. When asked what might happen if the per­pe­trator were a student, the dean said it could lead to dis­ci­plinary con­se­quences.

“It could qualify for dis­ci­plinary action including pro­bation or dis­missal,” Petersen said, “but all that would depend on the par­tic­ulars, including the student’s remorse and history.”

Previous articleFinals week panel offers advice
Next articleDebate Team wins at Otterbein University
Jordyn Pair
Jordyn Pair is from Milford, Michigan and plans to study Rhetoric and Public Address and Journalism. She has previously written for Spinal Column and The Madonna Herald, Madonna University's school newspaper. She enjoys writing, photography, and videography, as well as choir, martial arts, and blogging. She plans to pursue a career in journalism. email: | twitter: @jordynpair

Honor Code vio­la­tions are always trou­bling. I hope the per­pe­trator-if it was as student-con­siders that matter very care­fully and adjusts their behavior accord­ingly. Returning the money was a good first step, but it’s just a first step.

• Ellsworth_Toohey

I wouldn’t hold your breath on this one. 8 years later we still don’t have answers on who mur­dered the goat.

Inter­esting that that bastion of eastern Lib­er­alism-The Boston Globe-feels com­pelled to write tongue-in-cheek dis­parag­ingly about the Hillsdale Goat, while ignoring the never resolved case of the Boston Strangler. Sub­jective ethics and baaaa-aaaa-aaaad jour­nalism. We shall press on with vi-guh!

• Ellsworth_Toohey

The story was orig­i­nally in the col­legian.