(Photo: Hillsdale College Ath­letics)

Despite end-of-the-semester fatigue and no oppor­tunity to warm up or warm down, the swim team con­quered Lewis Uni­versity 179 – 83 Sat­urday at the Uni­versity of Findlay, though it suf­fered a 175 – 87 loss to the hosting team.

As the Chargers sized up Findlay’s com­pe­tition in antic­i­pation of the Feb­ruary G-MAC cham­pi­onships, the swimmers placed first, second, or third 15 times in total.

“Findlay is def­i­nitely a tough com­petitor, and they cer­tainly had the advantage this past weekend, but if we keep working, I think we’ll be set up for a good com­pe­tition in Feb­ruary,” freshman Katherine Heeres said.

“Everyone’s tired, but we really tar­geted toughness this past meet and fighting through chal­lenging events,” Kirner said in an email.

Sophomore Danielle Lebleu and freshmen Hannah Wilkens and Heeres swam with the grit their coach encourages, according to Kirner. Lebleu won the 1000 freestyle in 10:53.63 with Wilkens just behind her in second place with 11:02.85. Wilkens pushed ahead for second in the 500 freestyle with 5:20.26 and Lebleu chased her for third place at 5:25.19.

“With long swims like the 1000 and the 1650, I usually just try to get into a rhythm early on in the race, and hold onto that pace,” Lebleu said. “That usually makes it go by faster, espe­cially if you have a song stuck in your head.”

Kirner called Heeres’ per­for­mance in her first col­le­giate 200 back­stroke “spec­tacular,” as she fin­ished second by a tenth of a second at 2:09.87, only seconds behind her best time.

“It’s a pretty great feeling to be only a couple of seconds away from a best time the first time you swim an event during the season, espe­cially when you’re as tired as I was,” Heeres said.

Heeres also placed second in the 200 free at 1:59.95 and in the 200 IM at 2:16.11.

The team’s juniors brought strong com­pe­tition to the meet as a group. Junior Anika Ellingson came in second on both the 100 breast­stroke in 1:06.32 and the 200 breast­stroke in 2:26.48. Junior Grace Houghton’s 2:14.54 200 but­terfly took second place and junior Suzanne DeTar fin­ished third in the 100 freestyle at 54.94 and the 50 freestyle at 25.15.

“The juniors have for the past couple seasons have been at the center of our core strengths as a team,” head coach Kurt Kirner said. “They are devel­oping into the type of leaders we need to depend upon to succeed in the new con­ference.”

Both Lebleu and Heeres said they thought the meet went well despite the cir­cum­stances — tough prac­tices and the pre-Thanks­giving push of aca­d­emics had worn out the swimmers, and they arrived at Findlay to find out no pool for warm ups and cool downs would be available.

“Warm up and warm down is crucial to swimming. It allows you to recover after races and get rid of the lactic acid building up in your muscles,” Lebleu said. “Warm up also helps with getting your heart rate up before going behind the blocks which helps with racing as well. Without it, we expe­ri­enced more fatigue than we would have oth­erwise between races.”

The swimmers will get a chance to recover, rest, and reen­ergize in the coming weeks as the team tran­si­tions into cham­pi­onship mode, according to Kirner.

“The next two meets are our mid-season showcase events that feature a cham­pi­onship format as we incor­porate a mod­erate rest to enable us to establish season and pos­sibly lifetime-best times,” he said.

Previous articleGOP tax plan harms most Americans
Next articleEmbrace Secular Hillsdale
Katherine Scheu
Junior Katie J. Read is the assistant editor for the Culture page of The Hillsdale Collegian. When she's not working in the newsroom or reporting on a story, she's reading either French literature or backlogged feature stories on the Pulitzer prize website. After graduation, she hopes to write feature stories for a large daily paper and invest in a KitchenAid mixer and a puppy.