Social Media can help seniors find jobs in new senior seminar hosted by Career Ser­vices. Flikr | Courtesy

Seniors looking to work on their digital appeal can head to Rough Draft on Nov. 2 for advice on how to look their best on the internet.

“We want to teach stu­dents how to use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and related plat­forms,”  Assistant Director of Career Ser­vices Sophia Donohoe said.

Career Ser­vices decided to start this series as the senior class each year typ­i­cally needs assis­tance with employment, as well as in other aspects. Seniors are encouraged to pre-reg­ister on Hand­shake for the event, although it is not required. Doors open at 8:30 p.m., and attendees can pur­chase their first drink at half-price.  

Donohoe said many potential employers review the web presence of prospective employees, and photos of drunk­enness or drug use can hurt one’s ability to get a job. She said social media is a valuable tool for finding jobs, based on her expe­rience with her first internship, which she found on Facebook.

This event is the first in a series directed toward helping seniors prepare for life after Hillsdale. Upcoming events focus on interview tips, financial soundness, and what people wish they knew before grad­u­ation.

“Career ser­vices decided to start this series as the senior class each year typ­i­cally needs assis­tance with employment, as well as in other aspects,” senior and career ser­vices employee Maria Theisen said in an email. “For example, current juniors or under­classmen are not yet con­cerned with how to budget once grad­u­ating, but the seniors very likely are.”