Assistant Pro­fessor of Chem­istry Courtney Meyet received the Emily Daughtery Award for Teaching Excel­lence. Breana Noble | Courtesy

Hillsdale College stu­dents set the highest average all-campus GPA since 2007 with an average of 3.343 last spring, sur­passing fall 2016’s record of 3.34.

Provost David Whalen made the announcement on Tuesday at the first-ever Con­vo­cation held in the Searle Center, as the college gathered together to honor schol­arship, excel­lence in instruction, and the college’s reli­gious her­itage.

A faculty com­mittee selected Assistant Pro­fessor of Chem­istry Courtney Meyet to receive the Emily Daughtery Award for Teaching Excel­lence, which rec­og­nizes a junior member of the faculty each fall.

“I was absolutely sur­prised,” Meyet said. “I was def­i­nitely humbled by it; I don’t think I deserve it. It is one of the sweet high points of my career.”

Whalen once again awarded Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and Alpha Tau Omega fra­ternity the Greek schol­arship cups. Kappa earned a 3.44 and ATO a 3.259 average GPA last semester, respec­tively.

KKG Pres­ident Maria Thiesen, a senior, said the sorority placed extra emphasis on aca­d­emics last semester during the recruitment process, at chapter meetings, and a new aca­demic structure that pri­or­i­tized account­ability in grades and study table times as well as incen­tivized good work.

“We were really happy to keep the schol­arship cup,” Thiesen said. “I think we’ve fos­tered an envi­ronment of pos­itive aca­demic growth. It’s great to see that work pay off.”

Overall, women at Hillsdale once again had higher grades than the men, earning an average 3.425 to their 3.260.

All average GPAs increased from the spring semester.

Because of sched­uling con­flicts with College Baptist Church, Con­vo­cation was moved to Searle. Coor­di­nating with events there, the college moved the event from Thursday to Tuesday.

Assistant Pro­fessor of Psy­chology Collin Barnes, selected as Pro­fessor of the Year by the class of 2017, spoke on the pursuit of hidden truth. He framed his talk around an anony­mously written poem called “Golden Keys” from a book he had as a child. Although the four keys — good morning, if you please, good­night, and thank you — seek to teach young children the impor­tance of manners, Barnes com­pared them to how people should approach the chal­lenges they face.

“I trust you see here the hints of these four keys: the cre­ating of a problem, the search for its solution, the laying to rest of the puzzle, and the wel­coming back of a insight,” Barnes said. “What puts our place in the right place when we are com­mitted to truth is not a tech­nique of ver­i­fi­cation but a dis­po­sition, and the golden keys prepare us to express it. I am speaking here of rev­erence.”

Valuing tra­dition, specif­i­cally liberal arts, enables the college to pursue truth and serve eternal ideals, Barnes said.

From the sound of it, Hillsdale, just as its motto says, will con­tinue to do just that.

“The college is doing pretty well,” Pres­ident Larry Arnn said. “We’ll have college again next year.”

Previous articleQ&A: Gov. Pete Ricketts
Next articleQ&A with Ken Davis
Breana Noble
Breana Noble is The Collegian's Editor-in-Chief. She is a born and raised Michigander and studies politics and journalism. This summer, Breana interned in New York City at TheStreet, a business and finance news website. She has previously worked for The Detroit News, The American Spectator, and Newsmax Media. She eventually hopes to pursue a career in investigative journalism. email: bnoble1@hillsdale.edu | twitter: @RightandNoble