More than 60 people gathered at Johnny T’s Bistro on Tuesday to cel­e­brate the anniversary of acPres­ident Donald Trump’s victory and learn what they can do to support the pres­ident.

Pres­ident Donald Trump (Photo: Wiki­media)

“The Michigan Trump Repub­licans primary focus is to keep the Trump voters engaged,” said Matt Maddock, who is running for the Michigan House of Rep­re­sen­tative next year and iden­tifies as a Trump Repub­lican.

The evening started with the Pledge of Alle­giance and a blessing before pizza was served. Members of the local com­munity, Hillsdale College stu­dents, and several can­di­dates for various political posi­tions including Repub­lican guber­na­torial can­didate Patrick Colbeck turned out for the event. Many wore “Make America Great Again” hats and T-shirts.

One student, Avalon McK­inney, a sophomore studying religion and Spanish, was the county co-chair for the Michigan Repub­licans last year. She has worked at rallies and tar­geted mil­lennial voters around the state.

“This event is a cel­e­bration of a victory that was very hard to obtain last year, com­mending people for their hard work and trying to unify the Repub­lican party under the pres­ident,” McK­inney said.

Carla and Dustin Adams attended the event to cel­e­brate Trump and meet with those in the com­munity who also support the pres­ident.

“We wanted to see all the people in the com­munity that support him and hope­fully get some new faces, but we’re trying to drain the swamp,” said Carla Adams.

Dustin Adams said that he likes what Trump has done to reform the courts.

Meshawn Maddock, Maddock’s wife and a Repub­lican national del­egate for Trump, talked about the mission for Michigan Trump Repub­licans, stressing the impor­tance of winning Michigan in 2020 starting with action now.

“Michigan is crucial,” Maddock said. “That’s why we’re here.”

Maddock also stressed the impor­tance of local elec­tions and encouraged everyone to sign up as precinct del­e­gates.

Grant Strobl, the national chairman for Young America’s Foun­dation and Uni­versity of Michigan Young Amercans for Freedom pres­ident, also gave a speech where he demon­strated the adver­sities that he’s seen Trump sup­porters overcome at the Uni­versity of Michigan: student protests and “stymieing” from college admin­is­trators. He said he’s opti­mistic for the future of free speech on college cam­puses. He also addressed the Hillsdale stu­dents in the room.

“You guys are so for­tunate to be at such a bastion of con­ser­vatism here,” Strobl said. “But we all have to fight together. We have to encourage any young person you know stand up for what they believe in because if they don’t stand up for what they believe in on their cam­puses, nobody will.”

The evening ended with a speech by can­didate Maddock and Marian Sheridan, where they encouraged people to get involved right now in “the con­ser­v­ative rev­o­lution” to restore the gov­ernment back to the people. They again stressed getting involved in local gov­ern­ments as precinct del­e­gates.

“Trump can’t do every­thing in Wash­ington, D.C. alone,” said Maddock earlier in the evening. “He needs people in every state to pass the baton to, and that baton is the policy of America first and what he’s cam­paigned on at the state level.”