Pres­ident Donald Trump started a Twitter storm after the London ter­rorist attacks.
(Photo: Wiki­media)

Dear Editor,

Sophomore Gar­rison Grisedale argued that Con­ser­v­a­tives ought to fight back against the hypocrisy of Hol­lywood and battle the Left in a culture war in an article titled “Trump shows con­ser­v­a­tives how to fight and win a culture war.” Pres­ident Trump ought to serve as a model, according to Grisedale.

Grisedale wrote that Trump demon­strates a way to fight back and win. He defines winning as accom­plishing “the dele­git­imization of today’s elites.”

I have objec­tions to the “warfare” ter­mi­nology that only leads to greater ani­mosity between Amer­icans on the Right and the Left, but putting that aside, Grisedale does not explain what the goal of Con­ser­v­a­tives and Trump should be in this so-called war, aside from dele­git­imizing elites. He con­nected this with the Wein­stein scandal, in which Trump played no part, and Trump’s angry tweets at ath­letes.

The only actual victory he pointed out was the election itself, but clearly this is dif­ferent from winning the culture war if it’s still being fought. Perhaps another victory was when Pence walked out of a football game, some­thing which Grisedale admits was “crit­i­cized as a political stunt,” though it did frame Pence as a fighter.

So what should Con­ser­v­a­tives be doing? Like many on both sides of the aisle, Grisedale ignores the pos­si­bility that our goal should actually be to con­vince those who dis­agree with us. Angry rants on Twitter may earn us retweets from the choir we’re preaching to, but what good is that? And walking out of a football game when everyone knew players were going to kneel beforehand — did anyone who sym­pa­thizes with the players actually think that made Pence’s position worth recon­sid­ering? (Don’t get me wrong; if you don’t like players kneeling, I think you should stop watching games. This move was much more dra­matic, not to mention expensive.)

Trump is not a good leader for Con­ser­v­a­tives if we want to per­suade those on the other side. Such a per­sua­siveness requires a calmness, self-control, and respect for others that Trump does not have.

Grisedale men­tioned the recent Wein­stein incident. Hol­lywood may be hyp­o­critical if it can defend Wein­stein and condemn Trump for his famous com­ments which, while they don’t make him a rapist, showed a dis­gusting attitude towards women’s bodies. When Con­ser­v­a­tives look at the Left in Hol­lywood who defended Wein­stein, we see hyp­ocrites. When the Left looks at the Right claiming to care about women and defending Trump, they see the same thing. You may argue that isn’t fair, but it doesn’t matter. You won’t con­vince them.

I under­stand the relief that Con­ser­v­a­tives feel at having a pres­ident who is just as frus­trated at the Left as we are. But he should not be the leader we want to look to when it comes to changing hearts and minds.

Chandler Lasch is a senior studying history.