Stu­dents begin reg­is­tering for classes Monday. Nicole Ault | Col­legian

Courses offered this spring that always fill are History of Art II: Renais­sance – Modern; Readings in Power, Lead­ership & Respon­si­bility; English Grammar; Clas­sical Children’s Lit­er­ature; Renais­sance British Lit­er­ature; The Two World Wars; and The­ology of the Body, according to Reg­istrar Douglas McArthur.

These classes come from numerous depart­ments: art, business, edu­cation, English, history, and religion. Only half of those dis­ci­plines – English, history, and art – are in the top 10 most popular majors at Hillsdale, so many stu­dents take the classes to learn from dis­ci­plines that they might not oth­erwise encounter.  

The children’s lit­er­ature class ful­fills require­ments for a couple of minors, but no majors. Stu­dents discuss stories such as Aesop’s fables, fairy tales, and “Alice’s Adven­tures in Won­derland.” Authors range from Hans Christian Andersen to A. A. Milne to C.S. Lewis.

Pro­fessor of Edu­cation Daniel Cou­pland quipped that his ele­vator pitch for the class goes like this: “I usually turn to the person next to me in the ele­vator and depending on his or her facial expression, ask one of three ques­tions: What role does our imag­i­nation play in helping us become more fully human? How can non­sense reveal truth about reality? Do you believe in fairies?”

Dani Morey ’17 said the class revisits books you read as a child and reminds you that those books have lessons even for adults.

“Each class period feels like an adventure into your past rather than a class,” she said.

Pro­fessor of Law Bob Black­stock has taught Readings in Power, Lead­ership & Respon­si­bility for 20 years. About half of the stu­dents who take the class are business majors, he said. To accom­modate the number of inter­ested stu­dents, the class is offered in three dif­ferent sec­tions next semester.

“The course uses great works of lit­er­ature and history to discern the human qual­ities, habits, and prac­tices of leaders who have suc­ceeded greatly. Or failed greatly,” Black­stock said.

Black­stock makes the case that we are most likely to find hap­piness when we serve others vir­tu­ously. Doing so isn’t bad for business, either.

“Hands down the best class at Hillsdale,” said senior and mar­keting man­agement major Ashlee Moran. “It’s not everyday that you walk into class and your pro­fessor says, ‘Let’s talk about human hap­piness.’”

The­ology of the Body, an upper-level religion class taught by Pro­fessor of Phi­losophy Nathan Schlueter, centers around Pope John Paul II’s The­ology of the Body lec­tures, which treated love, mar­riage, and sex­u­ality. Schlueter said very few of the stu­dents who take the class do so for their majors.

Senior Maria Theisen, who is majoring in psy­chology and English, said she took the class to learn prac­tical appli­ca­tions for sub­jects addressed in her faith.

“It allows us to appre­ciate how and what we were created for, espe­cially in terms of human rela­tion­ships, and to see those themes throughout our culture,” Theisen said.

Senior Reuben Blake also rec­om­mends the class.

“It’ll change your life,” he said.

Under­classmen might find these courses filled by the time they reg­ister, but there’s no need to lose hope. Because the classes interest so many stu­dents, McArthur rec­om­mends emailing pro­fessors early to get on their wait­lists. That way, stu­dents have a higher chance of taking the courses they want after 7 a.m. on reg­is­tration day.