Governor to visit campus

Home News Homepage - News Governor to visit campus
Governor to visit campus
Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts will speak on campus on Monday, Nov. 6 | Wikimedia Commons

Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts will speak at Hillsdale on Nov. 6 on “Taming the Leviathan: Reducing the Size and Scope of Government.”

The Omicron Delta Kappa leadership honorary and the President’s Office organized the 12pm luncheon lecture, which will take place in the Searle Center. Students were asked to RSVP for the talk and subsequent luncheon by October 27.

President of ODK senior Michael Lucchese, said the idea occurred to him while he was visiting friends in Nebraska.

“It’s been a long time since we’ve had a sitting U.S. governor on campus,” Lucchese said.

Hillsdale alumnus Taylor Gage ‘10, who was a member of ODK during his Hillsdale years, is the director of strategic communications for the governor and suggested the visit to Lucchese.

“Gov. Ricketts is a leader in an actual community,” Lucchese said of Gage’s reasons for recommending the visit. “He is sympathetic to Hillsdale’s mission, though he’s never been here. And, we have lots of students from Nebraska.”

Freshman Patrick Winter comes from Nebraska and will be meeting with Gov. Ricketts during the visit.

“While I’m nervous about the meet-and-greet, I’m glad that Gov. Ricketts is supportive of the Nebraska clan,” Winter said.

Lucchese said that in addition to talking about government size, Gov. Ricketts will also speak to leadership in the state government and his experience in the business world prior to politics.