Nebraska Gov­ernor Pete Ricketts will speak on campus on Monday, Nov. 6 | Wiki­media Commons

Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts will speak at Hillsdale on Nov. 6 on “Taming the Leviathan: Reducing the Size and Scope of Gov­ernment.”

The Omicron Delta Kappa lead­ership hon­orary and the President’s Office orga­nized the 12pm lun­cheon lecture, which will take place in the Searle Center. Stu­dents were asked to RSVP for the talk and sub­se­quent lun­cheon by October 27.

Pres­ident of ODK senior Michael Luc­chese, said the idea occurred to him while he was vis­iting friends in Nebraska.

“It’s been a long time since we’ve had a sitting U.S. gov­ernor on campus,” Luc­chese said.

Hillsdale alumnus Taylor Gage ‘10, who was a member of ODK during his Hillsdale years, is the director of strategic com­mu­ni­ca­tions for the gov­ernor and sug­gested the visit to Luc­chese.

“Gov. Ricketts is a leader in an actual com­munity,” Luc­chese said of Gage’s reasons for rec­om­mending the visit. “He is sym­pa­thetic to Hillsdale’s mission, though he’s never been here. And, we have lots of stu­dents from Nebraska.”

Freshman Patrick Winter comes from Nebraska and will be meeting with Gov. Ricketts during the visit.

“While I’m nervous about the meet-and-greet, I’m glad that Gov. Ricketts is sup­portive of the Nebraska clan,” Winter said.

Luc­chese said that in addition to talking about gov­ernment size, Gov. Ricketts will also speak to lead­ership in the state gov­ernment and his expe­rience in the business world prior to pol­itics.