Stedman Lowry is a senior on the men’s bas­ketball team. He is from Liberty Township, Ohio, and is studying accounting. His brother, sophomore Dylan Lowry, is also on the team. (Photo: Charger Ath­letics | Courtesy)

When did you start playing bas­ketball?

My dad played bas­ketball at Murray State and Tran­syl­vania Uni­versity and got my brother and me playing, probably when I was in second grade. I was really bad and my brother was really good. My first season, in the rec league, I had four points for the whole season and my brother was aver­aging 20 points per game.

What’s it like playing col­le­giate bas­ketball with your brother?

It’s cool. I know what he’s going to do and he knows what I’m going to do and so we have a little brother chem­istry. It’s sweet. It’s like the whole team is all brothers so it’s not like we’re that dif­ferent. At least when we’re on the floor.

Why did you choose Hillsdale?

They were my first real offer. When I was a junior, I tore my ACL and I was talking to some low division one schools and they were half in, half out. Hillsdale was the first and only school that was really inter­ested in me. Coach Tharp seemed like he really cared and wanted me. Also, the fact that Hillsdale is such a good school played a part in it. I don’t always love it mid-season when I have all sorts of tough homework to do, but overall, I’m really glad I chose to come here.

Do you have a life motto?

1 Thes­sa­lo­nians 5:16, “Rejoice always” or carpe diem. You can’t go out there and waste days. You have to seize them, and you can’t do that with a neg­ative attitude.

What is your spirit animal?

A lemur, because Coach Tharp calls me Lemur a lot and tells me not to hop around on defense.

Who are your bas­ketball inspi­ra­tions?

Steph Curry and Klay Thompson.

What is your favorite movie and your favorite book?

Movie: Arrival.

Book: Mere Chris­tianity by C.S. Lewis.

What is the good?

That which for all aims.

If you had to listen to one song on loop for ten hours, which one would you choose?

“Sunrise” by Kygo.

What do you value?

My rela­tionship with Jesus because it underlies all that I do, and the team and all we do. If you value the team above yourself, every­thing else will fall into place.

Do you have any funny stories about Coach Tharp?

So Coach Tharp, every bathroom he goes into, he says, loudly enough so that everyone can hear him, “Roundy Tharp, Hillsdale, Michigan.” in case there’s someone in the stall that he knows in some random place. So appar­ently, he was in an airport and said that and he just heard a voice from one of the stalls say, “Who the hell cares?”

-Com­piled by Joel Meng