Christian Shepler is a sophomore from Mineral Point, Wisconsin. He is studying exercise science and is a running back on the Hillsdale College football team. (Photo: Charger Athletics / Courtesy)

When did you begin playing football?

First or second grade, with a little bit of flag football, and I worked my way through, started playing tackle football in fifth grade.

If you could play any other position, what would you play?

I love playing safety. I played a little bit of safety back in high school.

Is football your favorite sport?

It is. I’ve had a love for it since I was a little kid; the physicality of it, getting hit, the adrenaline rush you get. I loved watching NFL games, college games growing up, and I’ve had a passion ever since. My favorite team is the Green Bay Packers.

If you didn’t play football, what would you do with your extra time?

When I was younger, I was really into writing stories. Movie directing really appeals to me — a George Lucas, Steven Spielberg — the guy in charge.

What is your favorite movie?

My favorite sports movie is Rudy. My favorite non-sports movie is Hacksaw Ridge.

What is your favorite football memory?

Every away game as a kid, fifth, sixth, seventh grade football games, my dad and I would always listen to the band U2 driving up and coming back.

Why did you pick Hillsdale?

It’s a first class-education, and I felt the college fit me both as a student and also as an athlete.

What do you do before and after your games?

I eat lots of carbs like pasta. I show up an hour before warm-up so I can ease into it, taping my ankles, putting on my gear. I vibe with the music playing in the locker room. For me to cool down, I go hang out with my family at Johnny T’s, and relax with a burger.

-Compiled by Rowan Macwan