Charger Chatter: Ashley Moran

Home Charger Cross Country Charger Chatter: Ashley Moran
Charger Chatter: Ashley Moran
(Photo: Charger Athletics | Courtesy)

What are your events?

I’m in the mid-distance sprints, so normally I do the 100m, 200m, and the 4×4, and sometimes I’ll do a 60m indoor, but primarily the 200m and 4×4. I came in to Hillsdale in that group, and I thought about moving into the short sprint’s group, nothing longer than a 200m, but just the 400m suits the way I run a little bit better, and that’s all I did in high school, as well, so it’s just what I have always done.

What tends to go through your head most during a race?

The one thing I love most about track is I think a ton before the race, my mind is racing, I can’t stop thinking, to the point where I can sometimes make myself sick because of how nervous I am, but the moment that I’m on the track, and physically running, my mind goes blank. I don’t think of anything and that’s what I love about it. For the first time I can’t think and just do, and a lot of times that’s when you run your best races.

What is your pre-race routine?

I try to get a lot of sleep and just take good care of my body and normally the night before we do a lot of mobility work and stretching. A lot of it for me is just relaxing I do better when I just haven’t a lot on my plate and not a lot of stress and really just sit and not do anything, which is hard, but I think it really helps my mind not race or get overwhelmed.

Is there a specific coach who has influenced you the most throughout your running career?

I had a coach in high school, she ran for a Division III school and was an amazing sprinter, so she really got me into track and really saw my potential. Of all the coaches I’ve had, I would definitely say Coach Towne here at Hillsdale is the best coach I’ve ever had. Especially for me, he knows me more on a personal level, which really helps him to analyze my performance and also analyze how I am doing in other facets of life. When I really struggled my freshman year with track, he still believed in me and I think to have a coach see your potential and believe in you when you don’t believe in yourself is huge, and I never really had that with other coaches, so I think he has made my track experience so much better.

What is your dream city to live in after graduation?

Charleston, South Carolina. I think it would just be relaxing. I need a life that is very relaxing, very calm and peaceful. There’s so much going on at Hillsdale for everyone, so I just have this vision of the beach and a chill life, so that would be the ideal situation.

What’s your favorite AJ’s ice cream flavor?

Peppermint bark, got it last night.

When do you start listening to Christmas music and what is your favorite Christmas song?

Definitely before Thanksgiving, and Silent Night is always a good one. It’s always so peaceful.

What is your favorite Hillsdale tradition?

Gingerbread Wars. It’s always really fun and everyone is super happy.

-Compiled by Josephine von Dohlen