Hammers are swinging and reg­ister bells are ringing as 42 Union St. under­takes new projects and ren­o­va­tions.

Nell’s Nest, a women’s clothing bou­tique, recently opened in 42 Union St. Isabella Redjai | Col­legian

Since 42 Union opened last spring, cre­ativity and interest in the remaining, vacant rooms in the building have peaked with local busi­nesses and entre­pre­neurs.

“My vision for 42 Union was to be the bridge between the college and the town, because there are some incredible people who do deserve a place to gather,” owner Marty Hubbard said.

As Rough Draft cus­tomers have wan­dered the halls of 42 Union, some may have noticed the ren­o­va­tions and activity pur­posed for new busi­nesses occurring in several of the back rooms.

“Down the hallway, it used to be just a storage space, but within the last two months they’ve made the rooms into offices, so they’ve sec­tioned it out into three dif­ferent areas,” Rough Draft co-owner Haley Talk­ington said.

Nell’s Nest, a women’s clothing bou­tique, took one of the open rooms and opened for business on Nov. 18.

Its owner, Char­nelle Davis, started the business in her home two years ago, working out of her basement and pri­marily using Facebook to make sales.

She said she chose to move to 42 Union in order to make a con­nection with the com­munity and “let the college guys and gals know I’m here!”

“Come in, have a cup of coffee, and shop,” Davis said.

Davis said Nell’s Nest has two main pur­poses: comfort and trendiness.

“I’m very picky about fabric makeup. It has to meet a certain standard of softness, or we’ll send it back to the man­u­fac­turer,” Davis said. “And we only hold products man­u­fac­tured in America.”

The bou­tique also has a unique feature for holiday shopping, where a shopper may fill out a wish list in-store or online, and Nell’s Nest will keep the wish list on file. Any family members or friends can access the wish list and have their gift pre­pared and wrapped in store.

Within the next year Nell’s Nest will also begin a screen print service, which will provide Greek life stu­dents to order T-shirts with selected logos and pat­terns. Nell’s Nest also hopes to provide men and children’s clothing in the near future.

Nell’s Nest is open Monday through Friday, excluding Wednesday, from noon to 6 p.m.; Sat­urday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sunday from noon to 4 p.m.

Another spot at 42 Union will soon be occupied by “res­ident artist of Hillsdale,” according to Hubbard. Heather Tritchka — known for her work on the Winston Churchill statue in the Grewcock Student Union and the Winona statue in Mrs. Stock’s Park — will be opening a studio in one of the open spaces.

“The public will be able to just come in, watch her work, and ask her ques­tions,” Davis said. “Her door will always be open, so you can just watch her sculpt.”

Two vacancies remain for other entre­pre­neurs inter­ested in renting space in 42 Union.

“42 Union has come together nat­u­rally. We didn’t have a plan. So, if someone walks in the door and says, ‘I’d like to do a dress shop,’ I say, ‘Well, I have this space here.’ They either give me the thumbs-up or go some­where else,” Hubbard said. “I have two blanks left, but I’m in no hurry to fill them.”